Best placement for power head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aislinn3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my 75g I have 2 clown loaches (planning on getting 3 more when I relocate my swordtails), but I am curious as to what the best placement would be for the power head. I feel like the loaches have not yet discovered it but I can't adjust the current as low as they prefer to hang out. Any advice?

If the current is too strong you could always aim it at the glass to absorb some of the energy or put some decorations in front to break up the flow a little bit.

If the current is too strong you could always aim it at the glass to absorb some of the energy or put some decorations in front to break up the flow a little bit.

I had originally aimed the current upwards but earlier today aimed towards the middle of the tank and in front of a tall plant (which I hadn't thought about as a positive until reading your post). I was thinking of moving it to a corner and aiming the current diagonally so it would a) soften the current and b) direct it more towards the level the loaches reside. I just want to be sure what ever I do is in their best interest as I do not want to blow the swordtails away or keep messing with things too much. I will try to keep decor placement in mind a bit more now. Thank you :)

It's really hard to make fish uncomfortable with excess water flow. Often times they will play in the current of filters or power heads. When they aren't feeling particularly playful they will just hang out where the flow isn't directly pointing.

It's really hard to make fish uncomfortable with excess water flow. Often times they will play in the current of filters or power heads. When they aren't feeling particularly playful they will just hang out where the flow isn't directly pointing.

Well that's a relief! I tend to over think things sometimes :) I will give it a couple days and see if anyone takes interest. Thank you very much!

I had a similar ? They told me no matter where I put my power head it would help circulation, and trial & error is evidently the preferred method as every one seemed to have a different response. I have mine about mid-way down on the left panel pointing down and towards the back wall. I like this b/c it blows crap to the front where it is easier to vacuum, & my fish tend to swim in the front of the tank anyway.

I had a similar ? They told me no matter where I put my power head it would help circulation, and trial & error is evidently the preferred method as every one seemed to have a different response. I have mine about mid-way down on the left panel pointing down and towards the back wall. I like this b/c it blows crap to the front where it is easier to vacuum, & my fish tend to swim in the front of the tank anyway.

Interesting. I particularly like the easier to vacuum part :)

Back
Top Bottom