best rocks for aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't boil them the rocks could explode, but a good scrub in hot water with a little bleach will do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't boil them the rocks could explode, but a good scrub in hot water with a little bleach will do.

I think bleach is a bad idea it will absorb into the rocks and release into the aquarium.

I think bleach is a bad idea it will absorb into the rocks and release into the aquarium.

Your not using a lot of bleach, I follow the instructions for everyday sanitation, then rinse well and dechlorinate. Few rocks are porous enough to actually trap bleach to the point it can't be rinsed away.

What's this vinegar test? Acid test? I've seen it mentioned in this forum. What is it and how does it work?
I just checked out a supply store right near where i live and they've got some rocks that LOOK great. At 25 cents per pound the price is right!

Wash the rock before and after you test it.

If you dip the chosen rock in vinegar and it fizzes, that means the rock has Calcite diluted within the rock.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it will just raise the hardness and PH of the water. Perfect for AC's.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your not using a lot of bleach, I follow the instructions for everyday sanitation, then rinse well and dechlorinate. Few rocks are porous enough to actually trap bleach to the point it can't be rinsed away.

How much bleach for each gallon of water? How long do you let the rock soak? Do you then use prime to dechlorinate? How long do you let the rock sit in prime?

How much bleach for each gallon of water? How long do you let the rock soak? Do you then use prime to dechlorinate? How long do you let the rock sit in prime?

It's 1 cup of bleach per gallon. I dip the rocks, scrub them off, rinse and put them into a bucket or rubbermaid tote depending on the size, fill it and add prime accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom