Best Snails For Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayDC_90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for opinions on the best snails to have for a planted tank with a sand substrate. I want snails to clean sand. But I don't want them to eat my live plants. Opinions?

I'm looking for opinions on the best snails to have for a planted tank with a sand substrate. I want snails to clean sand. But I don't want them to eat my live plants. Opinions?
I love cory's as they constantly cif through the sand for food and keep it moving. They might uproot the odd plant accidentally, if it not secured in the substrate well. I use Nitrite snails to keep everything else clean, they too won't eat your plants....
No snail or fish will remove poop from the sand, if that's what you mean.....

I was more looking towards a snail to sift or burrow into the sand. In hopes of helping get rid of air pockets and help move sand underneath the surface. Thanks for the advice. Looking into them

Mts ( Malaysian trumpet snail ) are well known for being sand sifter

Definitely MTS :) they do pretty much exactly what you described. I got 5-7 when I first started my tank, and probably have around 30 now from them reproducing, but I've never had the population grow out of control, and they only ever get about an inch long MAX (but stay skinny so they're a lot smaller than a one inch round snail). In fact, I usually only see 2-3 at a time unless the lights have been off or I'm cleaning the tank. As for the plants, they've never touched mine. I even tried getting them to eat algae spots off of one of my plants and they just crawled back down to the sand. They're in the sand more than above it, so it gets turned a lot, and I don't see them eat, but my sand stays pretty clean.

Back
Top Bottom