Best substrate for a 10g planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristian Tombs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bored of my unnaturally coloured gravel. What is a good natural looking substrate which is beneficial for plants?
Is Eco-complete any good?

Pool filter sand, Black Diamond blasting sand, Miracle Grow organic all work well. You can also get bagged soil/substrate just for planted aquariums.

Pool filter sand, Black Diamond blasting sand, Miracle Grow organic all work well. You can also get bagged soil/substrate just for planted aquariums.
i was thinking of having a plant substrate with sand on top is this possible?

I have Ecocomplete capped with black diamond blasting sand. Best of both worlds.

Attachments

• 20131009_184304.jpg
    20131009_184304.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 113
Just FYI - that blasting sand is like $8 for 50 pounds if that helps any. Good luck!

It is. Not very fine, though, which is why I capped it so the dwarf baby tears would have a little more to grab onto.

The Easter Island Head has been in all my tanks as they began for good luck..

Looks awesome. I'll try and describe my tank at the moment. Two pieces of bogwood at the back in the middle place vertically one with anubias nana and the other with anubias nana bonsai. Underneath those two pieces is another of bogwood with java fern on it. That piece is slanted forward to give the allusion the java fern is coming out from underneath the Anubias. I'll upload a picture next weekend when I've got the silicone to make it permanent. In the front of the tank I have two pieces of bogwood with java moss on them to act as focal points on either side.

This month I will be changing to eco complete. I'm already using root tabs, liquid fertiliser and liquid co2. I just need to find out my lighting. Because I don't know :(
Then I will be stocking with rooting plants. Thinking of a carpet of baby dwarf tears in the front behind that a carpet of dwarf hair grass the two carpets will be separated by the two small pieces of bogwood along the sides of the tank a collection of crypts and as background plants elodea dense on the right and anacharis on left.

Any advice would be appreciated.

This month I will be changing to eco complete. I'm already using root tabs, liquid fertiliser and liquid co2. I just need to find out my lighting. Because I don't know :(
Then I will be stocking with rooting plants. Thinking of a carpet of baby dwarf tears in the front behind that a carpet of dwarf hair grass the two carpets will be separated by the two small pieces of bogwood along the sides of the tank a collection of crypts and as background plants elodea dense on the right and anacharis on left.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I think the the DHG and DBT will require pressurized CO2 and pretty decent lighting.

I am growing dwarf baby tears with liquid carbon, DIY CO2 and good light and it is growing very well. It can be done no problem. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

Back
Top Bottom