Best substrate for a 20L?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's up guys and gals I am in need of some inspiration for my next upcoming build..

Tank is a 20g long.

I plan on it being medium lighting.

Some plants that will be in the tank:

Downoi
DHG(maybe)
Blyxa japonica
Ludwigia repens(maybe)

I'm looking for some substrate ideas that will flow with an actual aquascape and provide rich nutrients to the smaller plants demanding it.

I've read of some using potting soil? Opinions?

If it's larger like Floromax gravel I'd like to do a sand cap or something again for Aquascaping reasons.

How to go about this? I'm not afraid to try a dirted tank with a cap but I'd like some real input on set up and maintenance of it.

Edit: cost is also an option... Id rather not pay $40 for a 8 pound bag of ADA. Something like $20 for 20 pounds like Eco complete I can do that.

Caleb

Brightwell aquasoil works pretty good! You could do a dirted with sand cap too. You want dark or light substrate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brightwell aquasoil works pretty good! You could do a dirted with sand cap too. You want dark or light substrate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plan is something like a dark substrate and use white sand or something of the like as a "path" or road in the scape.

Can you give a link to the bright well? Thanks :)

Caleb

I vote neon purple gravel ???

Jk. I vote regular sand or flourite

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dirt. Toss it in, swish around to get the floaters out, fill. You're done! None of that rinse for ev ur business.

Yup. Soil and gravel cap. About an inch a piece should suffice. Many benefits from using soil. The first 4 weeks are the toughest unless you mineralise the soil beforehand.

Check out the recent thread. 'The soil substrate explained for more info' I also have a dirtied thread. Click on my profile and search for both. I don't now how to link on the iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looks like dirt/soil is a popular and cheap choice.

Caliban- I'll look for those threads :)

Caleb

Hi caleb didn't realise it was you. Yeah fill your boots! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom