Best substrate for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had that set up. Aquaticlife 29 gallon. I went with Eco /blasting sand mix. only now I'm into stems that require more love and I wish I went with a soil based substrate. Smallish tank so replacing won't be too bad if you do go sand and eventually progress. But if you plan on progressing with this hobby maybe dish out for the good stuff isn't a bad idea.

I have a 29 with a 2 bulb CFL fixture over it and mineralized topsoil capped with black 3m colorquartz sand, has been running for a year or so with no problem. It's pretty low light, but it keeps the plants alive and they grow albeit slowly.

I have a 29 with a 2 bulb CFL fixture over it and mineralized topsoil capped with black 3m colorquartz sand, has been running for a year or so with no problem. It's pretty low light, but it keeps the plants alive and they grow albeit slowly.

That's not always a bad thing either. Having more light than you are capable of handling and/or equipped to handle is surefire way to torpedo your enjoyment of a tank.

Would flourite black sand the fixture I originally wanted and flourish excel be okay I don't want to invest in a c02 system.

calfishguy said:
Would flourite black sand the fixture I originally wanted and flourish excel be okay I don't want to invest in a c02 system.

HO lights are an unknown to me. I don't know if you can get away with using HO lights without CO2 and NOT grow an Algae Farm.

Flourite black sand is fine, just needs lots of rinsing and it's still going to be very "dusty" at first, but it will clear up.

You may need to use CFLs or other lighting than T5HO

Fluval has a 88g (gram) co2 system on amazon for around 50 dollars. I use it on my 20t with a 4 bulb t5 fixture and it has done great... it is listed as working on up to a 40.

SeaNLand said:
Fluval has a 88g (gram) co2 system on amazon for around 50 dollars. I use it on my 20t with a 4 bulb t5 fixture and it has done great... it is listed as working on up to a 40.

Has anyone else ever used this system.

How long do the cartridges last.

I was running it at 1 bubble per second... the tank lasted about 2 to 3 months. I just bought a 3 pack of refills on amazon for 40 dollars. I am looking into cheaper options with paint ball tanks.

calfishguy said:
Would the light I want work with a 650nm pink roseate 24 watt bulb and 6000k 24 watt bulb. Here is the link to the fixture. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23753

I like the idea of being able to increase light output if I want.

I would ask Drfostersmith if the fixture can be run with a single bulb or with Normal Output T5s if needed ?

The other option is to raise the light higher above the tank.
Or gently remove the reflectors.

If needed.

Those are T5HO ( High Output ) lights and fixture. Re read our comments ;)

I have a question about a substrate discussed in this thread. With kitty litter, will carpeting plants work the same, they're growth pattern? Such as glosso and Pygmy chain sword. Thanks for any help.

Atxpunx said:
I have a question about a substrate discussed in this thread. With kitty litter, will carpeting plants work the same, they're growth pattern? Such as glosso and Pygmy chain sword. Thanks for any help.

Probably not, but maybe. You can't really tell until you try sometimes. Light and co2 will be bigger factors than substrate choice.

Back
Top Bottom