Best type of small fish for magic globe tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kindredmastiffs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new here so I hope I posted in right spot.

I am trying to figure which fish is the best for a 5gal magic globe tank.
I know need to be small fish but I hate the thought of a fish living alone so would like 2 tiny fish and thought maybe a snail or two. But not sure with the type of tank I have. Another tank isn't an option as I have this one given to me.

I have the tank set up and going just need to find the right fish. I don't like rushing into things and want to pick right fish family the first time.

I assume you have a heater, if you do a betta would probably work

I don't know anything about the actual tank you have though

balloon rams are very cute and got attitude. dont know if they will like a small space though.

orNarain said:
balloon rams are very cute and got attitude. dont know if they will like a small space though.

They are much happier in larger tanks like 20 gallons or more.

I recommend pygmy sunfish or least killifish. They are small, peaceful, easy to care for and attractive.

To answer you question there are lots of options! You could get ember tetras, chilli rasboras, celestial pearl danios, scarlet badis, most shrimp, and snails. There are others but I dont know them all.
Before you add anything make sure you either cycle or undestand how to cycle with fish in the tank. Live plants can help you keep up with water quality in that small of a tank. Temperature matters as well. If you keep the water above 70 then any of the above fish should be fine.
Welcome and enjoy fish keeping!

Wow. I read that on cycling ok so now got to figure that out. I don't think my tank has a heater it has led lights and fake plants.

I promise I dont work for this company just want to make sure I have what my soon to be new fish needs.

Here is a link to the tank I have. Please remember this was a gift to me.
I have the elephant tank.
Aquatica Gallery-Bringing Your Living Environment to Life

Given that it's a round tank it isn't suitable for much I'm afraid, even nano fish would like more horizontal swim room. I'd say a betta.

No real surface air just tiny bit on the side where the water comes out.

It is about 13 inches or do across. It doesn't have a heater do I need to worry about that

No real surface air just tiny bit on the side where the water comes out.

It is about 13 inches or do across. It doesn't have a heater do I need to worry about that
Some fish do fine in room temp. For lower temps, it might be a better shrimp tank than anything else. RCS for example would be fine at that those temps.
With 13 inches, I think chili rasboras might be an option, or else a smaller micro rasbora like the dwarf spotted rabora. Maybe a couple of Endler's livebearers. Least killifish could work I think.
You can always get a small heater for it. They are not too high. That would open up your options a little bit.

Mumma.of.two said:
I wouldn't put a Betta in a tank like that. It doesn't look like it has any air pockets in it. Betta need access to the waters surface.

+1 Bettas do need access to the air, and warm water. They wouldn't do well in that tank. I would try to find a cool water nanofish. I think some killies do well in cool water but I'm not sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom