Best way of starting a 2.5 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shetland James

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, just registered because I've started keeping fish again (have done so on two previous occasions for a few years at a time so I know at least a little bit about it!)

I have a 13 gal tank up and running and it's all fine but I've just acquired a 2.5gal tank for either segregation or breeding and I was just wondering if anyone else had done this with a small tank and how they started it? Right now I have it filled, de-chlorified and it has a heater and filter running in it. The filter is a bit too strong I think so I might just switch it on periodically, give my fish a bit of exercise! I just have it running to cycle it, but I've read that this might not be necessary.

How long should it run before I start to put fish in?

Cheers!

Welcome back to the hobby!

You do indeed need to cycle the tank unless you have successfully seeded the filter on the 2.5 with cycled media.

Please, please, please do not add any fish (there aren't many that will do well in that small of a tank either) before it is cycled.

Just running the filter periodically will not keep the tank healthy and ammonia free, the point of cycling.

I run two small tanks, a one gallon and a three gallon and I can tell you, problems will manifest themselves very quickly without proper maintainence.

If you start it off properly and keep it up, they are very rewarding in MHO.

What kind of filter are you using? And what kind and number of fish do you hope to home in the tank?

I've continually heard the advice to not put any fish in quickly but I've never actually ever had any problems with it after running it for about 5-7 days in my past. Always had success with it and in my time I've had a very low mortality rate and very high quantity of breeding.

It's a RENA filter, 4 watt. It's second hand. I'm tempted to get a mini-one on eBay if I can. As far as keeping fish I'm probably gonna keep either fry or something classy like a Fighter which I'd like to eventually perhaps breed (obviously brings its own problems).

As I said, it's primarily for guppy fry and segregation.

Cheers for the advice on the filter, I guess it's easy to assume a small tank with less fish won't get so dirty.

I love the look of small tanks but they do require the same maintenance as a larger set up. I find them a little more difficult in that you have a much smaller space to move around, especially in keeping the substrate clean.

I've done a 5-in-1 test and all the levels are looking good. Any advice on substrate?

I would avoid sand just because any kind of disturbance in it will probably end up in your filter due to the fact its so small an area. Anything else is probably just fine. I have run-of-the-mill aquarium gravel in the one gallon, with an UGF and pea gravel from the hardware store in the three with a mini whipser filter. Just what I happened to have on hand when I set them up.

FYI, test strips are wildly inaccurate. It is definately worth your while to invest in a liquid drop test kit, such as the Master by API.

It is also best to post the exact readings on the tests when you post them on the forum. The definition of "fine" doesn't give an accurate description of what your water parameters really are, especially when you are cycling or experience issues with the water or your critters. :)

Those 5-in-1 test are worse than useless as they usually don't include ammonia, which is the most important factor!

+1 on getting the API kit and posting exact numbers.

And, no, it won't be ok to run a filter part time, if the filter is too strong you're going to need to get a smaller one. In a tank that small things can go drastically wrong in a matter of hours, unlike days in bigger tanks.

Those 5-in-1 test are worse than useless as they usually don't include ammonia, which is the most important factor!

+1 on getting the API kit and posting exact numbers.

And, no, it won't be ok to run a filter part time, if the filter is too strong you're going to need to get a smaller one. In a tank that small things can go drastically wrong in a matter of hours, unlike days in bigger tanks.

I actually have a separate ammonia test. Any suggestions for getting a wee filter? I don't know any brands or any good ones necessarily.

I have a mini nano filter on my .5 gallon pico. Enough room for bio balls and a sponge.

Back
Top Bottom