Best way to clean out tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krayzie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am changing substrates, and i have black algae on the acrylic. What is the best way to clean the inside while not harming the fish later on?

I am changing substrates, and i have black algae on the acrylic. What is the best way to clean the inside while not harming the fish later on?

10% %bleach 90% water and let sit for 30 mins. Scrub with a soft cloth after and rinse for 30 mins. Then air dry in the sun for a while. You could also use vinegar and the same steps above

10% %bleach 90% water and let sit for 30 mins. Scrub with a soft cloth after and rinse for 30 mins. Then air dry in the sun for a while. You could also use vinegar and the same steps above

So I fill the tank up doing 90/10?

Yes you can and with vinegar make sure you follow all steps above as well. Air dry in the sun is important to burn off the excess

Cool. Any advice on how to not have my fish stressed during this time? I only have a 5 gallon bucket.

Mmmm do you have a bubbler? If so then use it and fill the bucket pretty high. Non should jump out. The cleaning shouldn't take more than 2 hours. What are you switching your substrate too?

Mmmm do you have a bubbler? If so then use it and fill the bucket pretty high. Non should jump out. The cleaning shouldn't take more than 2 hours. What are you switching your substrate too?

ecosystem black sand. I have 2 airstones and an acrylic lid for the tank. So I will fill it near the top and drop a airstone in. Should I put in my heater as well?

Yes heater as well. You wanna keep the temp steady so you dont stress them. My advice is, clean the sand before you remove the fish from the tank so the process is faster

Yes heater as well. You wanna keep the temp steady so you dont stress them. My advice is, clean the sand before you remove the fish from the tank so the process is faster

I thought about doing this and I will. Thank you!(y):thanks:

are you running a HOB filter? i would run that on the bucket to keep the BB in it alive and keep the levels safe for the fish.

Will it be faster to just buy some Kent Marine spray? Will this kill the black algae?

Back
Top Bottom