Best way to diffuse co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is a 55 gal tank. Size measurements are 4x12x12. I also have a ceramic diffuser that I could place I front of my powerhead to distribute it better. Would this work? Stock is 3 angels 10 black neon Tetras. 5 zebra danios. 10 cory cats. 5 guppies. Plants are mat of java moss. Wisteria. And banana plants. How many BPS should I have in this size tank. Thanks.

It is a 55 gal tank. Size measurements are 4x12x12. I also have a ceramic diffuser that I could place I front of my powerhead to distribute it better. Would this work? Stock is 3 angels 10 black neon Tetras. 5 zebra danios. 10 cory cats. 5 guppies. Plants are mat of java moss. Wisteria. And banana plants. How many BPS should I have in this size tank. Thanks.

I would put it into the diffuser, then place the diffuser under your filter intake..do you have a drop checker?

I have been using the fluval ceramic discs with my hob. It makes a nice fine mist of bubbles but my tank looks like a bottle of carbonated water (with micro bubbles). I am planning on switching to a canister filter and an inline setup. You will need a drop checker to know the bps. I would start with 2-3.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I keep mine at 30 psi for my disc (right gauge). I believe the tank pressure (left gauge) is inline as well. I remember reading 800-1000 is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

pshtt...nevermind... looks spot on to me. Really depends on the temperature. Higher temp = higher tank pressure. mine reads about 825..

Yes my temp in tank is a Steady 81-82. I have about 2 bps coming out. I'm using the disk and have a power head right above to throw the bubbles all around. Looks to be doing great. Look like a heavy mist. I will upload a video if possible in a while. Thanks.

Cool man, I have never regretted goin pressurized..Since your in Charlotte we can trade plants..lol. I work in Belmont...live in Lenoir..

Cool man, I have never regretted goin pressurized..Since your in Charlotte we can trade plants..lol. I work in Belmont...live in Lenoir..

That's great dude! I would love to trade and buy. First person I've met from around here. We will certainly have to meet and trade one day.

You guys may want to consider building an in-line reactor out of PVC pipe if you have a canister filter. For a large tank like a 55 gallon I highly recommend it.

Sent from my HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC using Tapatalk

Easy really. A 2" diameter piece of PVC pipe approximately 14" long, a couple of bushings on the end with 1/2" or 3/4" thread and then barbed fittings on each end. Top it off with a 1/8" barbed fitting for CO2. Google search for "Rex Grigg inline CO2 Reactor" or "Cerges CO2 Reactor" . Reactors are more efficient than diffusers. I was running 3-4 BPS with a diffuser and with a reactor about 1-2 BPS.

I do have a canister. How would I do this? My canister has a uv sterilizer if that matters.

I am planning on building one over the next few days. I got the parts today at Menards. The only part I couldn't find was the adapter for the Co2. They had a brass one but I wanted to use all plastic. I have read some concerns of using brass but have also read that it isn't a big deal. Either way I was able to find the 3/16 barb to 1/8" or 1/4" male threaded end at Grainger so I plan to pickup tomorrow. I had to buy 10 of them but they were $4 for 10 so not bad.

Otherwise I already had 2" PVC left over from when I did some sump pump work. Some people use clear PVC but not sure where you get that.

Otherwise I got a cap that has a 3/4' female thread on one end and male 2" adapter for the PVC on the other. Then got a a few 3/4" male thread to 5/8' barb to connect the canister to.

The Cerges reactor is different and uses a whole house water filter and then has adapters. The Rex Griggs reactor uses PVC as described above.

I used a plastic 1/8" tube. I drilled a hole about an inch from the top (REX GRIGG style) and glued it in place with epoxy. With the Cerges you can get a TEE on the inlet and put a 1/8" barbed fitting there. There are a lot of ideas on YouTube and Google images. It really does not need to be complicated. Simple works.

Back
Top Bottom