Best way to fix this stuff up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vnv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yep, yet another newbie who rushed into buying fish with nfi what they were doing.

Bought a 20ltr (5gal) tank set up with a small filter and on advice of the LFS bough two platys and a male guppy. I was warned about guppy breeding but not platy. Less than a week later the small tank was full of dozens of platy fry. When I googled what to do, I learned about the nitrogen cycle and heaps of other stuff.

From there, I bought a 200ltr (52 gal) tank, better filter etc. This was second hand and needed some work to set up. In the meantime all the fry died and so did one of the platy's. I was doing regular water changes and bought some prime.

The remaining platy and guppy are now in the large tank. I am doing water changes every 2-3 days and testing the water regularly. Yesterday parameters were ammonia between 0 and 0.25ppm and 0 for everything else. pH 8.0 but they seem happy and I've read not to fight too hard against tap water pH. I only plan to stock the tank with easy to care for, peaceful community fish.

I want to use the 20ltr tank for one betta fish. I opened the cheap filter it came with and it contained one coarse sponge, some filter wool and a tiny donut shaped canister of carbon. I have removed the carbon and replace it with as much seachem matrix that will fit.

I want the tank to be completely cycled before I get the betta. What is the best way to go about this? Put the small filter in the big tank (will both filters cycle at the same time?)

For a newbie that had NFI you sure learn fast. Lol. Yes, that would be a great idea to let the Betta power filter media cycle in your big tank.

Your idea is good. Your tank isn't cycled obviously but your plan should work. Don't sweat the pH. Your fish will adapt. Fluctuations in pH are way worse for fish. My pH is 8.5!! Id triple your filtration capacity. Not only will this help long term with water quality it will also help the tank cycle faster.

To cycle fishless you can use pure ammonia[no additives or surfactants].
Add ammonia to 5g till you get 2-4ppm on test and wait...Run filter and heater during this.
Test in a couple of days to see if ammonia goes down..Keep it in the 2-4 range until you see nitrites, then cut dosing in half and watch for nitrates. Only dose once you see nitrites to register ammonia to 1-2.. Once ammonia and nitrites can go to zero in 24 hours of adding 1-2 ppm ammonia you are cycled...This could take weeks but you don't have to do any water changes without a fish in tank...
Good luck.

To cycle fishless you can use pure ammonia[no additives or surfactants].
Add ammonia to 5g till you get 2-4ppm on test and wait...Run filter and heater during this.
Test in a couple of days to see if ammonia goes down..Keep it in the 2-4 range until you see nitrites, then cut dosing in half and watch for nitrates. Only dose once you see nitrites to register ammonia to 1-2.. Once ammonia and nitrites can go to zero in 24 hours of adding 1-2 ppm ammonia you are cycled...This could take weeks but you don't have to do any water changes without a fish in tank...
Good luck.

Hello Tom, nice to see You again

Everything is going well. The water in the large tank is still a bit cloudy from the substrate. Ammonia tested again at 0.0ppm-0.25ppm. I did about a 35% water change. I'll test for nitrites in a week.

Smaller tank is empty. I am in no hurry to get the betta so will wait until both filters are completely cycled in the big tank before I get any new fish at all.

The tank was second hand with a raw pine stand and hood. I sealed and painted the stand before setting the tank up and started working on the hood today.

Also ordered two LED lights from ebay. I am only planning low-maintenance plants and these lights had good reviews even though they are relatively cheap.

Today I bought an Aquaone provac which has a priming bulb you squeeze to start the siphon. I attached a garden hose to the end and ran it out the back door onto the lawn. Worked like a charm. I brought the hose in to refill the tank while dosing with Prime. So much easier than buckets.

When the tank is cycled I plan to slowly stock with:

- more guppies, 4-6
- Mollies - 3 or 4
- Gold white cloud mountain minnows (saw these in the shop and they are gorgeous)
- corydoras or ottos - 6 or so

I wanted some glass catfish until I saw some glass bloodfin tetras that looked cooler.

Back
Top Bottom