Best way to lower nitrates ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SirLight1337

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently only have about 80-90 lbs of LR in my 150 gal setup. It was originally going to be a FO system, but i have decided to do some soft corals and anenomes. Current Nitrate reading is 20ppm. I know it reef systems it should be very very low ( 5ppm or lower) Should i add some aragonite sand or something ? My substrate is crushed white coral with 5 lbs of live sand over parts of it. If i were to drain a little water to allow for the displacement of 20lbs or more of sand, should i add it to the tank ?

TIA

Im going tonight to buy my 32 gallon trashcan and let it fill with my RO/DI unit. Ill mix some salt for it tonight and let it circulate overnight and do the waterchange tomarrow. Thanks for the heads up RLG :D

Water change, water change, water change.
Rob is correct. Water changes will help reduce the NO3 currently in system as long as you are using a good quality RO/DI water. Make sure you vac the CC substrate as well to remove detritus. CC alone will not contribute too much to NO3 as long as it is cleaned on a very regualr basis (IMO, sand is a better choice). The biggest contributors to high NO3 in a tank is over-stocking and over feeding. What is currently in the tank and what is your feeding shcedule? Adding more biological fitlration ill certainly help with the denitrafying process. A fuge is a great idea but adding more LR will help as well. Ideally, you should have between 225 and 300lbs of LR for optimal biological filtration. Best of luck...Lando

I do water changes and have put some purigen in my sump and am now reading no nitrates.. I didn't have a problem with trates before but cyano, I was hoping that this will help with the cyano.. but alas.. :)

as of right now all i have are the 2 anemones and a raspberry doddy back. i usally feed the tank once every other day and a very small amount of flake food or a little sliver of frozen.

Oceanicsublimat said:
I do water changes and have put some purigen in my sump and am now reading no nitrates.. I didn't have a problem with trates before but cyano, I was hoping that this will help with the cyano.. but alas.. :)

When I ditched my Prizm skimmer and upgraded to a CPR (october 2004), my cyano disappeared. A week after runnign it, i couldn't detect any nitrates or phosphates, and to this day the cyano has never returned, and I still cannot register nitrates/phosphates (though I'm sure there's a minute trace in there)

Chaeto in your fuge will also help keep nitrates down. Chaeto's preferred over caulapra because ti doesn't go sexual and produce toxins.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom