best way to rasie a sanlity level with fish in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeysuckle11

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a couple fish in my tank and my sanlity level is a little low. Its at 1.021 and i like to raise it to 1.024. anyone know a way to raise it without a water change? i was told mix some much salt into a gallon but to raise it slowly. any help would be great thank you.

yea but how much salt would i add to a gallon to where it wont over raise? like what a cup of salt to one gallon for example

You shouldn't be topping off more then a little bit at a time since its from evap so just mix a strong solution around 1.030 and after you start doing that just test every day or two until you get there.. the slower the better when it comes to changing salinity especially with corals

Are you using a refractometer by the way cause they will give you a much more reliable and accurate reading then a hydrometer (floating needle)

ok thank i mean i only need like 16 oz to top off. i dont have any coral yet. i have a yellow tail damsel a yellow watchmen goby a pigment angel and a pj cardinal with snails. so im dont want to hurt them in any way so baseilly just mix a salt in with ro water thats at temp already then

yea i just switch then that how i figure out my level off some. lol i just got it today cause i had the lfs test my water plus i test it

You really don't need to match the temp with such a small amount of water but just continue to do that until you hit your mark

Here is a great resource for everything calculator.
The salinity section gives correction factor for hydrometer temperature, a top off salinity calculator, direct salt calculator and so much more.
BTW, my hydro (alcohol not floating needle) is corrected to 60F and the readings at 79F are very low. Unless you're using a refractometer make sure you temp correct the reading.

Oops
http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/

Back
Top Bottom