Best way to target feed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking to purchase another tank and much more SPS coral. As a result I have been reading about the best ways to grow them out and it seems that I will have to start feeding to accelerate growth and get the best color. I have been looking at using either MicroVert or MarineSnow, haven't decided but I need some advice on how to target feed the coral without polluting the entire tank. I used to feed the softies when I first got into the hobby but I stopped due to the water conditions that came as a result of using this algea fuel in the tank.

Peace.

Some folks like to use the top half of a coke 2 liter and a syringe, through the lid, to cover the coral and spot feed.

roka64 said:
Some folks like to use the top half of a coke 2 liter and a syringe, through the lid, to cover the coral and spot feed.

Wow! That is an excellent tip. I've been trying to figure out an efficient way to feed my sun coral. Thanks!! :D

Yup...that is what I do. it works great.

I have seen the plastic bottle setup before. How long do you normally leave the cover in place? How much food do you use per target? couple cc's?

I'd leave the cover in place until you cannot see anymore food in the water, if that makes sense. Generally it won't harm the coral at all to leave it on for a while. I usually feed ~1 mL per target feed and it seems to be working good.

The nutrients, etc. in fish food and waste generally are plenty for SPS. People who were keeping SPS w/ no fish at all and no, to very little feedings, where seeing light/pastel coloration, rather than deep, rich hues. The lack of nutrients, and very high light levels are the cause. So, my point is, there is kind of a fine line between too much, and not enough w/ SPS. IMO, I would concentrate on other things than the foods, especially those listed, for best growth and coloration. With any planktonic food that is not frozen or refrigerated, the quality would concern me. FWIW there is a newer, fairly popular blender mush for SPS recipe on the net called the "pappone" method. Italian reefers were the first to come up w/ it AFAIK. A quick search should yield results and provide you w/ more info, if your interested. It involves feeding a blender mush high in many differents minerals, elements, etc. It consist of mussel, clam, oyster, and a couple other ingredients. Many of the animals used feed on phyto, so I imagine it introduces that as well. I have not had time to read all the info, but pics of some of the SPS tanks using this method are awe inspiring. HTH

Back
Top Bottom