Best Way to Vacuum Large Stone Substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Myles26

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the hobby and aquascaped my 37 gallon tank with small, medium and large limestone/sandstone stones. While it looks great I'm finding it's not very practical when it comes to vacuuming. I have a medium sized gravel cleaner with a one and a half inch diameter tube and I find it does not suck up the debris from the nooks and crevices between the stones. I should also mention that I laid egg crate down underneath everything for support and the stones are piled about 3 inches high on top. I did this so I could create some caves underneath some larger rocks. I vacuum and do a 20 percent water change weekly. I periodically spot clean the water column with a snuffer bottle if I see something floating around too.

My question is is there something better on the market or a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• 37 Gallon.jpg
    37 Gallon.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 35
Following along - I must confess I’ve avoided pebbles for the reason you are finding so interested if there is anything on market.

Only idea was filling in with fine sand.

Back
Top Bottom