Beta and crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terilynn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a beautiful Blue Betta (pic) . I just put him in a 5 gal aquarium from a lil bowl. He LOVES it! Can I put a lil red claw crab in there to kinda keep the bottom of the tank clean? I dont think they would bother each other , but I wanted to see if anyone else has done that and what the results were. I just love those lil crabs!

Thats great your betta has a real aquarium to live in!

These crabs need brackish water to thrive, your betta won't care for that.

The red claw also need access to a dry area, such as a beach, or most common, a lower water level with rocks or decorations sticking up out of the water. They also need good hiding places for after they molt and are adept escape artists.

If your betta is mellow, try amano shrimp as a companion. They aren't as showy, but will keep your tank nice and clean and won't add to the bioload.

Also, did you cycle the tank before moving the betta into it?

yep, sure did. can I get those shrimp in any pet store or is it something I would have to special order?

You will need to check around.

Aquatic stock varies so much from one store to another, and also your geographic area.

I would avoid getting small juveniles, as any betta might view tiny shrimp as food.

If you can't find them at any LFS in your area, I know an excellent online source if its not too cold to ship aquaria to where you live right now.

Back
Top Bottom