Beta Fish Advice wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
So about 6 months ago I sold my $3000 saltwater tank for $500 bucks it killed me and I haven't been on this site since. I know a lot about the Reef Aquariums. My 5 year old daughter had the itch to get a fish. So I bought a Beta Fish. I have him in a 1 gallon glass container currently. With just room temp tap water added.. I know I know he needs a bigger tank to thrive not survive. Is simply dechlorinating the water keeping a stable temp and weekly water changes with decent space enough to keep this fish happy long term.. Really don't want it to die soon. So I came to my trusted friends here at aquariumadvice.com simply just to get some Beta fish stories and helpfull tips :)

I had a roommate in college that kept a betta in a 1/2 gallon bowl with the plant on top and it lived for over 3 years. I think it would be fine in there.

I should also mention that I had a betta in a bowl for a few months before a big move. She did fine in there.

Sorry for the loss of your reef tank. Many people suggest at least a 5 gallon tank for bettas. I have one in a 5ish gallon, and I couldn't imagine him in anything smaller. (You might be able to get away with a 2.5, but as you know, smaller tanks make keeping stable parameters hard.) Also, bettas LOVE warm water. I have mine around 80. I think the warmer the water, they more active they are, cause mine swims around all day. Also, I wouldn't want to try to heat a 2.5 safely. Very easy to cook the fish.

My suggestion: Go get a 5 gallon from petsmart (or similar). I just saw them today, they're on sale for like 10 bucks or somethin. (Maybe that was a 10 gallon?) Go get a very small adjustable submersible heater, and heat some water to 80. I'd suggest a small filter, maybe an in tank one, with an adjustable flow rate, just to keep the water moving and to stop stuff from settling on top of the tank. Heck, some bettas even like the flow. Just because a betta CAN live in a 1/2 gallon jar, doesn't mean that it likes to. I'm not trying to put human emotions to a fish, but like one of the fellow AA's member's sig says, minimum requirements=minimum happiness. (LowRyder maybe?)

EDIT: No fish likes to be cramped. The only reason, IMO, that bettas CAN be kept in small containers is because those "tanks" are never heated, so the betta's metabolism is really slow, hence it doesn't have a lot of energy, and it doesn't swim much. Mine swims every inch of his tank. Even flares at his reflection sometimes (very funny to watch lol). There's no sense in getting a betta if you're going to keep it in similar conditions it was in the at the LFS. (That sounded... defensive? aggressive?. I didn't mean it that way.) I'm just trying to say to do it right, that's all.

My mom doesn't even dechlorinate the water. just keeps em in a glass dish. I want a happy healthy fish of course. Ill get a 10 gallon. Small filter.. Do they make heaters that small that are reliable for such small paramaters. LOL I had 2 big ones in my reef tank. Smaller is tougher for sure. My reef tank didn't even have a mechanical filter. LOL Filter for flow and biological filtration. No carbon or anything necessary unless the fish appeared unhealthy im assuming. What about decorations. Pebbles scattered on the botom with a fake plant or something.. Need ideas.

A 10 gallon is plenty for a betta. Heck you could make a nice community tank out of it. Throw a couple neon tetras or somethin in there. As for decor. Gravel is fine, I don't think they mess with it too much. I have a 100 W heater in my 12 gallon (I know overkill, but hey it works), so if you still have some sittin around you should be fine. They make much smaller ones (50W, 25W), and they're usually rated for tank size. (I think a 50 W is for... a 5 gallon maybe? not sure). I like to overrate my heaters, buying the next step or two up, but other people like to underrate their heaters, and get two smaller ones, in case one malfunctions and goes haywire, it can't over heat the tank on it's own.

Oh yeah, back to decor. Sometimes bettas like to sleep on broad leaf plants, so if you're going to go fake, maybe get something similar? Also, I'd be really careful to get soft plants, ones that won't snag the betta's fins. They really are easy fish to take care of, and beautiful too.

(Oh, if I sounded condescending, I didn't mean to, I know you're experienced with tanks/heaters, I just like to explain myself for when someone comes and reads this thread 2 months down the road.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I wouldn't go for any of the "betta" specific dechlor or anything either. I've never heard of anyone using it, and why would a dechlorinator be fish specific? Stupid marketing ploy I think. You DO need betta food though, as regular fish food isn't the best for them I believe.

I would get at least a 5G tank, a heater, and an internal Whisper filter or an AquaClear. I use Prime for my bettas, and sometimes I use Stress-Coat, since they seem to like to bite their tail fins off. BAD BETTAS! LOL.
If you get a 5G or smaller, change 50% of the water twice a week, and anything over 5, you should be okay with one pwc a week.
I recommend Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets. Do not feed flakes or freeze dried, it will bloat them. I also feed mine peas once a week (laxative), and a few bloodworms once a week as a treat. Soak the pellets for about 5 minutes before feeding, and only feed 3 at a time, since their stomachs are only as big as their eyes.
Don't put them in a vase with a plant on the top. Bettas are labrynth breathers and use their gills too, but they need to be able to get to the surface for air. :)

Awesome thanks for the tips.. Gonna keep my budget under 40 bucks. So ill probably leave the little guy in the gallon jar for a week or so. Of course my 2 year old already dumped a whole bottle of beta food in the tank so he got a 100% water change already... I remember when my 5 year old was 2 she dumped a whole bottle of flake food in my reef tank and killed nearly everything. At least with a beta Im not overly invested. Im kinda excited about the whole thing. Hopefully I can stop my self before I get overly carried away into the thousand dollar range. :)

Oh, I have spent close to $800 on my bettas. I live so far from any pet stores, that I go and buy anything I might need lol.

I've noticed that I haven't contributed to this thread in any meaningful way so...

If you really want to keep your $40 budget, and are open to having a larger tank, this will work, but it will limit your ability to have more fish until you upgrade the filter

10 gallon fish tank (13$)
aquaclear 20 ($26)
Heater ~$15

This setup leaves you mostly within budget, gives you a 10 gallon tank, and leaves you room to expand.

Aquaclear 20 Power Filter - Filters - Power Filters at BigalsOnline

Marineland Visi-Therm Submersible Heater - 100 Watt - Heaters - Submersible Heaters at BigalsOnline

http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCa...=stealth+100+watt&queryType=0&hits=12&offset=

Okay, I'll just take those out then..

I guess the new jagers kind of suck then too. What would you suggest?

I am not sure. I haven't had any luck with the Tetra heaters either. :( If you can find a Stealth thet DOESN'T have the light indicator on the top, and just the little red dial, you should be okay. I have 4 of those, and have never had a problem. The one with the light on the top are no good IMO, and the visi-therm are no good, (glass).

Back
Top Bottom