beta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdsmitty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i always thought betas r pretty. what kind of fish can u put them in with? i always see them solo in tiny goldfish bowls at the petstore.

to tell you the truth it all veries on your bettas personality. I have found that Some are fine in a community tank but others will kill any fish that gets on its nerve. I have always tested the betta before putting them in a community tank. an easy way to test them is to get a couple rosyred minnow (since they're so cheap) and leave them in with the betta for a week or so. If all the minnows are gone then i wouldnt suggest putting the betta into a community tank. but if he doesnt kill any of them then go right ahead,

Oh and those little bowls that petstore keep their bettas in is horrible for the fish. You need atleast a 2.5 gallon tank for a small betta and a 5 gallon tank for an adult betta.

Female bettas get along better in communities than males do. Never put a male in with another male or a female-- will result in a fight to the death. (Breeding is done very carefully and there is usually damage done to both fish in the end.)

Tetras will often nip a male's fins, so not a good tankmate usually. Male guppies are also a bad idea with male bettas due to the fins (the betta may attack). Shrimp (if large enough and you don't mind babies becoming food), cories, and otos are generally safe tankmates and good for small aquariums.

I would say a 5gal tank is the minimum for a happy betta... they do like room to swim around.

It's best to do silk plants or real plants with a betta as their fins can be ripped by plastic plants. Am taking care of a male betta right now with fins that are a bit shredded from the plant in his old tank-- he's loving the tangle of real plants I put in for him.

Back
Top Bottom