Beta tank filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting a Beta this week and I have a question about the filter. I am currently using a small canister filter but worry that the water flow might be too much. I have an extra HOB and sponge filter. Would one of them be better? I added a video of the filter flow. I am going to remove most of the floaters too.

I dont think that filter is too strong. It looks like the water on the other end of the tank is pretty still so the beta will probably spend most of its time over there. It will also love your floating plants :) Looks like beta heaven- good luck!

I prefer sponge filters for Bettas, personally. If he seems to be having too much trouble swimming, then you can buffer the flow if you would prefer to stick with the canister, or, switch to a sponge filter.

I ended up taking the canister filter off because I came home to it leaking. This was not the first time so I had a container under it. I took the HOB off of my 5 gallon and put it on the Beta tank and left the sponge filter in too. Waiting for the sponge filter to cycle. I baffled the HOB and the Beta seems to be enjoying the tank. He did have a run in with the heater though. I saw him darting around and flaring then he ran into the heater like a chicken flogging. He would hit it and run back. Turn around and flare and run at it again. All I could figure was he was seeing his reflection in the glass. I moved it and he lost interest in it. I have seen him chasing the bubbles coming out of the sponge filter also. He is very active and eating well. His color has gotten better too. He is getting a deeper blue on his fin edges. Hopefully I can get some good pictures of him soon. He hides when I get the camera out.

Back
Top Bottom