Beta with guppies/tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunshine79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 adult guppies and 20+ fry that range in age from 4-6wks & 2 tetra's. I LOVE how betas look with the beautiful fins and could watch them all day, so what I'm wondering is how much luck do people have with mixing them (1 beta) with other fish...or do the beta see the colorful male guppies and wanna fight.....30gallon tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1480180811.910610.jpg
    IMG_1480180811.910610.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 82
It depends on the betta. I have a betta that gets along fine with most fish but some betta fish will be very aggressive. If you find the right betta fish then it should work out fine but I still wouldn't recommend it just incase it attacks the guppies.

Not to mention bettas LOVE eating guppy fry

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have sooooo many fry at this point the next batch will be on those own Lol may the odds be ever in their favor!

bettas truly deserve their own tank. some bettas can be calm enough to be around other fish but they are instinctually aggressive, especially when it comes to food. my mom had a betta and tetras together and the betta would steal their food and bully them. imo, id give your two lonely tetras some friends so they can school. and get a separate 10 gal for a betta!

I bought a tank for a beta today Lol I'm up to 4 tanks now[emoji23] as for the tetra's I had more and they kept bullying my male guppy (ate his beautiful tail) so they had to go. These 2 are aggressive and stay to themselves.

You really don't have a good combination of fish. Most Tetras are fin nippers and male Guppies are more tail than anything else so it's just asking to be nipped up. I would suggest replacing the Tetras with another type of non nipping fish ( most livebearers will fit this category) so that they do not have to live in fear and stay to themselves.
As for mixing in the Betta, more often than not, another bad fish for this combination as the Tets will try to eat the fins of the Betta and the Betta may easily see the Guppies as competition so he will attack. Good move on the separate Betta tank but if you decide to add something else into that tank, be very careful of what that something else is. (y)

Shockingly I went to the local aquarium store where the chick suggested the tetra's were a good match for the guppies[emoji33] it wasn't until after I got them home and noticed the fin nipping that I then done some reading!

Never had guppies however I've had neon tetras with different betas without many issues. The beta just would chase them away. They seemed too quick for the beta to be harmed. They never seemed to harm any betas I had. The beta's were just territorial. I really liked having a beta. Always seemed to have the most personality out of the tank. All betas are different but I've seen people mix them with non compatible fish. They were in very large tanks though. Personally I wouldn't mix guppies and betas in most setups. If I had a huge tank I would probably try and monitor it.

Shockingly I went to the local aquarium store where the chick suggested the tetra's were a good match for the guppies[emoji33] it wasn't until after I got them home and noticed the fin nipping that I then done some reading!

Another example of the deterioration of qualified people offering advice about pets. :( I would certainly get in contact with the owner or manager of the store to let them know of what happened. Not to ask for a refund or exchange but to explain the situation to them and how it effected your view of his/her store for future purchases. ( A good store will offer you the refund or store credit without you asking.)

Some people who work at pet shops are very knowledgeable and able to help. Others are not. They all are trying to make a sale.
[emoji53]
That's actually not 100% true. Not all stores are looking more at the sale than they are making a long term customer. The good stores are looking for customers more than sales because they know, over the long run, a long term customer will spend a lot more money than a quick 1 and done buyer. Here's a great way to weed out the bad stores: ask about buying something expensive that you know is not a good fit for your tank. The ones that say "Yes" are not good stores. The ones that say "No" are the ones you support with your business. They obviously have your long term business in mind. (y)

Here's a great way to weed out the bad stores: ask about buying something expensive that you know is not a good fit for your tank. The ones that say "Yes" are not good stores. The ones that say "No" are the ones you support with your business. They obviously have your long term business in mind. (y)

I have to remember that moving forward. Very good advice.

I have to remember that moving forward. Very good advice.

I'm from that "NO" kind of store so I know from what I speak. ;) If more people today would do the research BEFORE going to the store, they would be much better off. When I worked retail, I had customers come back from far away and even other countries because I wouldn't sell them something they didn't need or shouldn't have had. They respected my answer why. :) Today's salesmen/women are a different breed because they work for a different type of shop so it's up to you now to figure out who to trust or not. This is just 1 way to figure that out. :brows:(y)

I used to work for a NO store, and honestly a lot of those people truly believe they are giving you good information because they were trained with their stores 'experts' information. Unless it's their hobby outside of work they will never know how much bad info they're parroting to people and their bosses will pat them on the back. I actually got in trouble for deviating from their script even though I knew better, the old timer there just took me aside and said 'tell them the truth but don't let the managers hear you'.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Another example of the deterioration of qualified people offering advice about pets. :( I would certainly get in contact with the owner or manager of the store to let them know of what happened. Not to ask for a refund or exchange but to explain the situation to them and how it effected your view of his/her store for future purchases. ( A good store will offer you the refund or store credit without you asking.)

That's actually not 100% true. Not all stores are looking more at the sale than they are making a long term customer. The good stores are looking for customers more than sales because they know, over the long run, a long term customer will spend a lot more money than a quick 1 and done buyer. Here's a great way to weed out the bad stores: ask about buying something expensive that you know is not a good fit for your tank. The ones that say "Yes" are not good stores. The ones that say "No" are the ones you support with your business. They obviously have your long term business in mind. (y)

so many times i've received terrible advice that ended up causing a lot of problems by asking someone at my LFS. i've learned to air on the side of not trusting them and depending on my own research!

When I was the animal/fish expert working at my local Petsmart, I got lots of nicknames.
Fish Nazi ( wouldn't let a woman put a Bala Shark in a 10g...they slam the side and die as singles...and they don't fit)

Fish Whiperer...often caught fish with the clear cup instead of the net.

Dr Fish...helped a guy save his 17yo Fancy Goldfish. He'd been over salting the tank. More water changes, less salt, better diet.

I'd send people out of the register line to put back the bowl and buy a tank for their Betta.

Etc..... there are 2 sides to retail. It's exhausting to fight the good fight.

Now? I sell wine. If people want to pour Chateau Neuf du Pape into a jelly jar...that's their choice *shudder*
If people want to learn, I'm happy to help.

so many times i've received terrible advice that ended up causing a lot of problems by asking someone at my LFS. i've learned to air on the side of not trusting them and depending on my own research!

At the time I had just gotten back into tanks, the last tank I had was salt water so I knew little about anything...I have since then done a ton of reading. Next time I won't depend on a sales lady to guide me in the right direction. I guess you just assume they know what they are talkin about!

When I was the animal/fish expert working at my local Petsmart, I got lots of nicknames.
Fish Nazi ( wouldn't let a woman put a Bala Shark in a 10g...they slam the side and die as singles...and they don't fit)

Fish Whiperer...often caught fish with the clear cup instead of the net.

Dr Fish...helped a guy save his 17yo Fancy Goldfish. He'd been over salting the tank. More water changes, less salt, better diet.

I'd send people out of the register line to put back the bowl and buy a tank for their Betta.

Etc..... there are 2 sides to retail. It's exhausting to fight the good fight.

Now? I sell wine. If people want to pour Chateau Neuf du Pape into a jelly jar...that's their choice *shudder*
If people want to learn, I'm happy to help.
I have been called things too and I just took it all in stride and explained why what they wanted to do was wrong or not a good thing for their pet. I also always used an analogy including a dog or cat ( since they are the most common and beloved pets) to drive the point home. If the customer still didn't want to listen, then do you really want them as a customer? Time will prove that they will be more of a pain than an asset to your business so if they walk out POed, let them. ( I had the boss's consent too. That's the plus side of a Mom & Pop shop. (y)) What really always made my day was when I would be talking to a new or trouble customer, a "regular" customer in the store would chime and tell these people " Listen to him. He knows what he's talking about. He's saved me a ton of money." What better unsolicited compliment can you get? ;)
Yes, it can be tiring fighting the good fight but if you are not willing to do it, you are just as much the problem as the customer. (IMO) Would you sell a car to a 15 year old just because they had the money for it but no license to drive it or parent to drive it home for them? What if you had that same type of customer every day for a year? Would you relent on day 364? I assume NO because when it's wrong, it's wrong no matter how many times you have it happen. Right? ;)

Back
Top Bottom