Betta always hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trioracles

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just got this Betta like a week ago. It always hides under the filter and only once a while it comes out. What can I do to make it become more active and stop hiding? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431379837.265430.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431379863.291257.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There maybe too much water flow for him to swim comfortably. Try to cut down the flow on the hob if you can.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431380182.653296.jpg

The water flow doesn't seem to be that strong tho

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431380247.334730.jpg

That's a very bare tank. I would try to give him some places to hide. Maybe even paint the bottom black to make him feel more comfortable.

He's likely able to see his reflection constantly which is another thing that would stress him out.

It takes them awhile to adjust. It took my first one 2 weeks to get over being shy. My second Beta took just over a week to get comfortable. That was in heavily planted tanks. He probably feels to exposed and the movement outside the tank could be stressing him. They have pretty good eye sight. Put a background behind the filter. Something as simple as a piece of black construction paper would work. Add some plants, real or fake. If fake consider getting cloth ones with no wire in them. You have to change them every so often because they get dirty but they will not hurt his fins. Hard plastic ones could possibly damage him. Some Betas do not like any water movement on the surface. You could put a piece of plastic canvas in front of the outflow to break it up.

Mebbid hit the nail on the head. Try placing some Hornwort or Cabomba in the tank. Bettas love that stuff.

That's a very bare tank. I would try to give him some places to hide. Maybe even paint the bottom black to make him feel more comfortable.

He's likely able to see his reflection constantly which is another thing that would stress him out.

Hi! It seems like you're the go-ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432346232.331596.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432346259.941205.jpgto pro for Bettas. I added more stuff to the tank but he's still hiding. I don't know how to make him come out more. It also seems when he's swimming , he doesn't fan out his fins and tails as some other video of Bettas I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom