Betta and golden barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
I used to post and read here a lot, this is actually the place I came to when I first starting keeping tropical fish about 3 years ago to get all of my information, so I really appreciate all of your help.

I have a 30 gallon fresh water aquarium that has been set up for about 2 years. I have 5 golden barbs and 3 cory catfish in it right now. My friend has a beautiful male betta that she cannot keep anymore and I told her I could take him. My logic was that bettas wont harm fish if they don't have long fins, and my 30 gallon has more than enough room for a betta to be happy. Unfortunately, after reading a little more, I have discovered that golden barbs might be a problem for the male betta. Since they are in a 30 gallon with plenty of plants and rocks to hide in, could this setup work? The betta is in the aquarium right now, and thee seem to be no problems, but I know that these things can take time to develop.

My only experience with a betta in a community tank was short lived. He was ill when I bought him, and died the first night.

But anecdotal evidence is that putting a betta in a community tank, particularly with barbs isn't that great a mix. The barbs will fin-nip, and since the betta is a very slow swimmer, he'll have a tough time getting food.

I have 4 tiger barbs, and reading up on them I discovered that they'll mix with angels as long as you have six or more. Schooling behavior takes over, and they'll stay occupied rough housing with each other. Keep an eye on the betta during feeding time, make sure he's getting his grub on. Those are the two issues.

I love that asked this question because I have an almost identical setup. I have a 20 gal with 3 adult gold barbs, a few white cloud minnows, and yes a male betta. They get along great.....the barbs have absolutely nothing to do with the betta. I have had this setup and mix of fish for over a year now and couldn't be happier with the result.

Thanks! That gives me some encouragement. As I said, my friend gave me the betta because she couldn't keep it, so I'm not sure what its other options even would be. I don't like the idea of putting him in a small bowl (which is where she had him) because I Dont' think it's fair to keep them in a tank smaller than 5 gallons, and I really can't get another tank right now. So, hopefully, the arrangement will work out. The betta has been hiding most of the evening, but it might just be getting adjusted to its new environment. I haven't seen any fin nipping or aggression from any fish.

Back
Top Bottom