Betta Bully?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anna0219

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I recently started up a new tank as a small "betta sorority." I have three female bettas in a 5.5g tank. When I was setting up the tank I asked for advice on stocking it and received some suggestions for the betta sorority of three. One person warned me against it, but I tried to go with the popular vote and give it a try.

So far, the fish are adjusting to their new home very well. I added them to the tank on Friday and they all look very healthy. The temp and filtration all seems to be suiting them perfectly.

The girls are Piper, a red betta, Gwen, a yellow betta, and Aquaneesha, a blue crowntail betta (named by my roommate). Piper is a bit smaller than the other two, though not by much, but she is getting picked on a bit. Aquaneesha is the most dominant and will randomly chase both Gwen and Piper around the tank. However, Gwen has also started chasing Piper but immediately backs down to Aqua.

I'm a little bit worried! They don't appear to be hurting her - I've been watching them constantly to check for fighting. Gwen seems to open her mouth as she chases Piper, but she so far doesn't appear to have actually bitten her.

They both chase Piper for a couple of seconds virtually whenever they encounter her in the tank. I have three fairly big artificial plants, a little flower pot on its side, and some big rocks that all provide hiding places for Piper, but she doesn't seem to have noticed how great of a place the pot would be for her to hide yet.

Should I be worried? I've heard that they will do this at the beginning then settle down eventually, and I don't know if perhaps it is less troublesome than it appears, but I don't want them harrassing her to death. Would you recommend separation? And if so, after how much time?

Okay, I have an update - I couldn't stand watching the other two chase poor Piper every thirty seconds any longer, and I noticed that one of her fins looked a little split - perhaps from a nip?

I transported her to a 1g bowl that I used to keep a male betta in. --- Don't worry, it's empty now.

Am I overreacting? I just couldn't bear the thought of them tormenting her overnight while I waited for advice. :(

The other two seem unaffected by the transfer so far - except perhaps they are miffed that I removed one of the plants to put in Piper's bowl. Is there any way that I can help encourage them all to just get along?

Sometimes some fish just don't get along. If it were me, I would move Aqua to the 1G, and let the other 2 girls in by themselves for a while to establish their territory and get to know their surroundings.

Okay, I will try that today. The funny thing is, Aqua and Gwen are cohabiting perfectly happily together now that Piper is in a separate bowl. Aqua is not chasing Gwen at all. They sit two cm apart at the top of the tank together, watching me and waiting to be fed!

Thank goodness Piper seems to be doing well in her bowl, but I'm worried about the temperature. I have her in the warmest place in my room but there isn't a heater in the bowl. So I really hope to be able to put her back in the tank with her wonderful 79-degree heater.

They are probably picking on her because she is smaller than them, and they will pick on her until she gets bigger. :(

Back
Top Bottom