Betta Bungalow - UG Filter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Y'all --

Those of you who have been following the saga of my Betta Bungalow Blues know how frustrated I've been with the whole thing. Thank you all who have given me much good advice. I want to run something past you and see what y'all think.

I've been thinking that, especially with the odd shape of my tank, I might do well to convert it to using an under-gravel filtration scheme. I've built many UGs over many years and am pretty comfortable with doing so. The main advantage as I see it would be to greatly increase the filtration activity. I think it would make for a much more stable environment. The main disadvantage is breaking it down to clean.

This is real "old school", I know; but I'm trying to think of a really good reason to override my doing this, and I can't.

What do you think? Thanks

What do you feel are the benefits of using an under ground filter?

What shape is the tank? f you can post a pic? Or if not what is the brand model type of tank?

Have you considered a sponge filter, there are cube and rectangular shaped ones?

Ive never owned a divided tank. If I remember correctly yours is in thirds. Imo a small hob at each compartment would be awesome...while seeming over kill.

Since it seems like your handy. Ill give ya my idea. A sun sun with some diy on the intake and spray bar comes to mind. Not sure if there is a slight gap on the dividers at the top. If so..that would make it easier.

Even a cheap sun sun will be around the price of a few mignon by azoo. Its an old school hob you may know. Still can be found on amazon.

Edit..I looked at prices of the mignon..thats what id do.

For 20 years we had tanks with UG. And they all did great as long as they were "cleaned" periodically. Preserving the good bacteria in the substrate but getting all the excess waste out of there.

Give it a try! If it doesn't work for you then move towards other options.

Ive never owned a divided tank. If I remember correctly yours is in thirds. Imo a small hob at each compartment would be awesome...while seeming over kill.

Since it seems like your handy. Ill give ya my idea. A sun sun with some diy on the intake and spray bar comes to mind. Not sure if there is a slight gap on the dividers at the top. If so..that would make it easier.

Even a cheap sun sun will be around the price of a few mignon by azoo. Its an old school hob you may know. Still can be found on amazon.

Edit..I looked at prices of the mignon..thats what id do.
Didn't know Azoo existed, learn something new here everyday!
I'd probably go the mignon route, but I've never had ug before.

The mignon is a cool looking little filter , Great for small tanks or spaces.

I think the main advantage to utilizing an undergravel filter is the greater expanse for biological filtration area. I'm growing live plants (Cryptocoryne wendtii), so cleaning the substrate is difficult without damaging roots. I'm thinking the UG gives me more water circulation through the substrate plus getting nutrients to the roots that might not otherwise be made available.

The tank being as long and narrow as it is (48"L x 6"W) doesn't lend itself to the use of outside filters very well. As far as I can tell without actually getting one in my hands, even the mignon takes up more space than I have; the tank is placed along the back edge of my home office desk.

I have a picture of the tank saved on my desktop, but with my limited electronic skills, I can't seem to share it to the thread. When I try, all that goes to the attachment is "View attachment 264573 and that doesn't open anything. My wife is much more computer savvy than I am and she can't figure it out either.

Well I have zero experience with UGF but I will say that wendtii roots are massive once established. I have one over a foot tall and about 10in wide. Now I dont trim it much but its a beast. No way I could get it out without re scape whole tank.

Check out Matten filters, perhaps a simple modification for you thinner and longer on each section of end, and maybe a easier way to keep the filter cycled. I will PM you a link with additional info. You can do a search for much more info.

Check out Matten filters, perhaps a simple modification for you thinner and longer on each section of end, and maybe a easier way to keep the filter cycled. I will PM you a link with additional info. You can do a search for much more info.
Man...I feel dumb. Thats a great idea

Back
Top Bottom