Betta Combination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bettas in pet stores are such mistreated animals! Do they even clean that water?!

Probably depends on the store. You can tell by looking at the water and the fish, though. If the water is dirty/cloudy, it hasn't been cleaned. Bettas aren't the cleanest fish out there, the water will get dirty. Also, the cups shouldn't be air tight, so it will evaporate, and there should be a water line on there. I've watched him clean the water in the betta cups and do maintenance on the large tanks. He won't sell sick fish. OTOH, one of the lfs near me is probably a great place to get reptiles, but has told my friend things that are just downright false. Every fish she's gotten from them has died within days. And their bettas are all horribly looked after.

When I looked for bettas, I ended up going to two different big stores. The one that had the .5 quart sign, and the other big store with the guy I know. The bettas were all active in their cups. There was no excess food in them (unlike at the other store, where there were quite a few cups with very low water and with 10-15 pellets sitting at the bottom). Some were blowing bubbles, which is good. None had faded colors. Some flared at me. They aren't going to be super active in cups that size, but they should wake up and swim around and be interested in events happening around them.

Talk to the people who work there. Ask how often they clean the water in the cups. If you see a lot of low/dirty water, walk away. You may end up with a sick fish.

They do love to eat. I like the staple of Biogold for Bettas from Hikari. Never had issues with the food turning the water bad unlike some other products.

Some products are really quality foods but will turn the water ammonia in a snap. So not good for a uncycled filterless tank for sure.

Back in the olden days when fish lived in small vases and sometimes had a Peacelily plant, (and some people said they eat the roots and don't have to be fed), I advocated for the fish at the Dr. offices and stores.

I kept lots of Bettas in containers - giant vases mostly 2G and even larger ones, at least a gallon at the very begnning. They had larger Arrowhead plants, and water quality stayed good with light feeding of pelleted Hikari and ~ 5 day pwc. No issues and long life for the most part. BUT over time I saw that they swam and seemed happier in a little larger space.

Then I learned about AA and the nitrification cycle. Now no excuses. They are happier and better cared for with a filter and timely pwc and room to roam. And varied diet.

I admit I didn't know about the nitrification cycle. But common sense says a tiny container is not a good thing for a fish like that.

They get around 3.5 inches and 3.5-4" around if Half Moon.

Also was going to mention that the type and amount of food plays a HUGE part in the bioload figured in with the fish waste.

Last edited:
What is a bettas bioload?

My thought on this is that the finage size also needs consideration. Betta's are quite small but the larger the finage, the better the water quality needs to be. A 5gal tank simply makes this easier to avoid issues like fin rot.

I'm looking into getting three bettas. Would two females and one male be okay?
Males put hormones in the water that will egg bound females. They can't share water unless its a massive tank and even then problems could arrise. Bettas get (on average) about 2.5-3in and the general rule of thumb is a gallon per 1inch of fish ❤ hope this helps. If you split a tank the smallest I would split is a 5gal. Maybe even 10gal.

Splitting a smaller tank just "keeps" the fish and doesn't allow them a decent amount of swimming room. Some longer custom/specialty type sizes could work with a long 15.

After you add the substrate you lose a few gallons of water space to the substrate filling it up and then a 10G might only be 7-8G - so small for 3 fish. You'd be better off with a shelf of 3, 5G tanks or 10G's.

It is unfortunate that so many stores and companies continue to encourage the tiny tank as a suitable home for Bettas.

When they are full grown and get stronger from being in a small cup for so long and get their muscles, they are agile and curious fish which enjoy swimming and moving around the tank to search for foods and inspect their habitat.

Imho, the Betta would be best in a tank about 2.5G, probably not smaller than 2G. A 5G would also be a BETTER size. With lots of plants, the 5G my Betta is in is a perfect size. He swims all over the tank and "crawls" around with his fins throught the branches and mosses. And shimmies sideways in between the leaves.
My Bart shimmys. I crack up never in my life have I thought a fish would be so funny nosey and adorable.

Back
Top Bottom