BETTA EMERGENCY - possible dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Commander_Louie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I think my betta has dropsy, believed I fed him way too much. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406737617.774900.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406737636.904221.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406737647.944688.jpg

He's just at the bottom like he can't swim , he's in a 10 gallon but I took out little over halve because he struggles to swim up for air, then goes right back down to the gravel and stays still.
I feed him a lot of flakes these past few days
Also bloodworms last week.
Anything I can do to help him?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.6

Fish: betta, no other fish
10 gallon tank
Temp: 81

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Filtration: box filter, used to use fusion power filter 3 that was in the community tank until it broke not to long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would try a pea. Take the shell off first see if that can help. He may just be constipated. I can only give him protein once a week and I have to fast him every other day.

Just one betta only needs like one flake per feeding. And you can routinely give him a pea every few feelings. Hope he gets better.

His scales don't look like a pine cone so fingers crossed he will recover.

Sent from my iPhone

Keep the water very clean.

Try Epsom Salts, too, a tablespoon per gallon, dissolved in the treated (dechlorinated) water before putting into tank.

You can get it from the local pharmacy. Make sure it has no other additives like fragrance, it should be only Magnesium sulfate (aka Epsom Salts.)

For the pea, you can use a little water and microwave for 20-30 seconds to cook it, let it cool and take off the hull, their will be 2 parts inside which will be soft. He might not be very hungry, try feeding him that only for a couple days and hopefully he will get hungry enough to eat it.

Between the less feeding and the Epsom salts and the Pea feeding he should become less constipated.

Also watch his poop for white clear stringy poo in case of parasites.

Probably over fed and got poor water quality too. BTW remove any uneaten pea parts after an hour. Try again later to feed him if he doesn't eat it right away.

Clean water, clean water, clean water. :)

Try Hikari Betta Gold food, you only need a few pellets 1-2x per day and skipping a day, fasting is good once a week.

Sorry for the loss. The first picture does really look like dropsy. Sorry again!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom