Betta Fish Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since my first betta fish, I've always wanted to breed them and raise the fry. That was about four years ago. I think it would be so much fun and a great thing to try. But I have just one problem. I'm afraid that I won't be able to find homes for all the bettas. I don't have a lot of space. I could probably turn my 38 gallon into a sorority tank for any leftover females, but I don't have the space to keep 50 leftover males.

So just for a little relief, I was wondering how well betta fish sell in the AA classifieds. Would anyone actually buy betta fish on here even if they had to pay shipping?

Are you in the west coast? I want some!

Go to a few lfs and get really involved with the Bettas so an employee comes over, then ask the kid if he would please find out the exact breeder or farm the fish are from. If he doesn't know or care to help, make it clear he needs to find a job he is even somewhat qualified for.

I live on the east coast lol. And sorry, but what would I be trying to accomplish by finding out where my lfs gets their bettas?

If I would breed my bettas, it'd be in the summer when I can give all my attention to the project. Would you still be interested then?

breeding bettas

there is a place on facebook called basement bettas or a betta web page called betta source they have alot of info the same lady has both hope this helpes:popcorn:

I live on the east coast lol. And sorry, but what would I be trying to accomplish by finding out where my lfs gets their bettas?

If I would breed my bettas, it'd be in the summer when I can give all my attention to the project. Would you still be interested then?

I wasn't being very clear. I meant to say that should your lfs confirm that they source Bettas from a non-reputable company perhaps your could make the case that they sell your healthy hand raised stock and you become a vendor.

Oh okay! I could probably do that. I'm pretty young though so they might not take me seriously. I can try that though. However I'd prefer to sell to places where I know the bettas will be well cared for. If I sell to an lfs the bettas could end up being cared for by unknowing owners in 1/2 gallon bowls with no heating or filtration. I don't want to send them to their deaths. I think I'll stick to AA or aquabid.

Well then send in an agent to play the part. Lol. Girl get your hussle on! I was making money waking dogs at 13 and now I run a business caring for every pet you can name!

I knew a horse breeder as a young girl who is my hero! She lived for her herd. Literally slept next to the field. What a lady! As happy as any human I've ever seen

Whoops back on topic, sure I would buy a Betta or two that you bred! I recently opened my eyes to the beauty of certain crowntails, and I really liked a few crowntail females I have met.

My lovely Marsh is one of my favorite colors for Bettas, a very blue color with white "butterfly" markings on the tips of all his fins. He was purchased in a cup mislabeled as a Twin Tail, but he is more like a super-delta than a half moon.

My other favorites are any purple/white/violet and blue combo fish. I would love to see your babies! Let me know if you decide to get into it!

Thanks so much! I will definitely sell to you when I do it. I think I'll do it in the summer since that's the only time when I can constantly feed the babies. I have to do a little more research and plan things out. Do you know about the minimum and maximum breeding age of bettas? I want to use my halfmoon plakat betta Waffle as the male for his beautiful color but I'll have had him for two years by the time summer comes and he might be too old.

You could try to breed Waffle, but from what I've gathered you need to emotionally prepare for possible defective fry. I am a bit Emo when it comes to babies and I would cry and cry if I saw little three-eyed, finless freaky fry. Haha that was a weird phrase to type.

By the way I really love Plakats!! Never seen many at the quality lfs in town here. I stay clear of the mortuary of cuppers at Pet chains because yes they are beautiful but I won't ever break down and give my money to those megastores again. 1/2 the living Bettas are eating their tails, losing their color, living in deep waste and staring at the bloated dead bodies of their neighbors.

Oh my god, so emotional today! Must be the rain. I would like a female sorority of Bettas . Someone from mom's yoga class offered up a free 35gallon which I am driving over the hill to pick up this week(not that u can breed me a sorority by then) and I am now officially at 3 tanks.

If I put 15 neon tetras in there maybe by next year you can send me a "Hawaiian Tropic Bus" of hot young babes to California! ;)

That'd be great! i've decided that I'm going to go ahead with the breeding. You've given me the confidence to, so thanks. :)

I'll breed in summer so I can put all my focus into it. I might decide not to breed Waffle since he'll be two by then (well 2+ how many years he was at the pet shop). And I don't think I have the heart to cull. I was thinking about culling some of my platy fry since I have so many, but then I started thinking about how they're so innocent and had only just begun to live and now they're the parasite of my 38 gallon tank. But if there are fry with deformities I'll force myself.

For now, I'll just look around to see where I can get some good fish to breed. I'll let you know when I'm breeding. I might decide to do it earlier.

Good for you Fanatic! (My name is Lila btw. "Leelah") breeding animals is a spiritual endeavor, as is pet keeping in general. You learn to give, empathize, and the true meaning of "caring" for another being.

I remember the wonderful wildlife shows that were on TV in my youth. Now I ABHOR the Animal Planet shows that are aptly labeled "surprisingly human".

Marty Stouffer's "Wild America" may still be around on YouTube. The National geographic specials from the late 90's and the Mutual of Omaha series called simply "Nature" were my version of church, I'm not kidding! My summer vacation was to Etosha game reserve because I had become obsessed with the yearly wildebeest migration over salt flats and that whole phenomena. I drew everything I saw! Best trip of my life. Well tied for first, all trips in nature are sublime.

Off topic again(on flu meds) so anyway we are the same type of woman I think. We get what animals give, and they recognize we are their type of people,'wouldn't you say? I bring this up because I had considered breeding my AKC purebred Basset Hound for the past five years.

I finally concluded with my husband that, while he is an amazing pet, healthy handsome example of the breed, very high scent drive and tracking ability, he simply wasn't going to be a beneficial addition to the gene pool because of his behavioral quirks. Chop-chop. (He is a "resource-guarding" male which leads to aggression in the wrong situations, got to purge these qualities to breed responsibly).

I think that passionate people owe it to themselves or their communities to pursue their calling. Not all of us are given special purposes, but to deny the intuition that you were meant to be something... Well that my friend is what "mid-life crisis means", you blew it!

Here he is- pic taken a few weeks before his "surgury" and in the 6 months since he has gotten gray fur in the face and gained 10lbs!

Eunich!

Attachments

• image-914621021.jpg
    image-914621021.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 32
Good for you Fanatic! (My name is Lila btw. "Leelah") breeding animals is a spiritual endeavor, as is pet keeping in general. You learn to give, empathize, and the true meaning of "caring" for another being.

I remember the wonderful wildlife shows that were on TV in my youth. Now I ABHOR the Animal Planet shows that are aptly labeled "surprisingly human".

Marty Stouffer's "Wild America" may still be around on YouTube. The National geographic specials from the late 90's and the Mutual of Omaha series called simply "Nature" were my version of church, I'm not kidding! My summer vacation was to Etosha game reserve because I had become obsessed with the yearly wildebeest migration over salt flats and that whole phenomena. I drew everything I saw! Best trip of my life. Well tied for first, all trips in nature are sublime.

Off topic again(on flu meds) so anyway we are the same type of woman I think. We get what animals give, and they recognize we are their type of people,'wouldn't you say? I bring this up because I had considered breeding my AKC purebred Basset Hound for the past five years.

I finally concluded with my husband that, while he is an amazing pet, healthy handsome example of the breed, very high scent drive and tracking ability, he simply wasn't going to be a beneficial addition to the gene pool because of his behavioral quirks. Chop-chop. (He is a "resource-guarding" male which leads to aggression in the wrong situations, got to purge these qualities to breed responsibly).

I think that passionate people owe it to themselves or their communities to pursue their calling. Not all of us are given special purposes, but to deny the intuition that you were meant to be something... Well that my friend is what "mid-life crisis means", you blew it!

That trip sounds absolutely amazing! I think my favorite nature trip was when I went scuba diving in Turks and Caicos. I saw all sorts of fish, even some I recognized. I saw a bunch of niger triggerfish and a royal gramma (it may have been a bicolor dottyback though) and I saw feather dusters, corals, sharks, etc. It was amazing. it's how I originally got into saltwater before I quit. I'm not as interested in land animals as I am in fish and aquatic life though, but terrestrial animals are fascinating too.

I also agree that breeding animals is a spiritual endeavor. Caring for helpless and innocent life can be so rewarding. I learned that with my platy fry, even though they mostly took care of themselves lol. I did watch them grow up though, from just tiny translucent babies to juvenile platies, and it's been very rewarding. I can just imagine what it'd be like to take care of the babies myself.

Back
Top Bottom