Betta fish fins are completely torn up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyv5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I went out of town for the weekend, leaving my betta fish at home. When I returned, his fins were an absolute mess. I recently got him a filter (which he loves to hang around), and that's really when I noticed his fins start to tear. However, after this trip, the difference was ridiculous. I have attached a picture of him about a week before my trip and upon returning from the trip, along with a picture of him hanging out by the filter.

Can you tell me what you think caused this? Is it fin rot, the filter, or both? How long will it take for his fins to heal and how can I help?

[Optional, Additional Information]
1~What type of fish is afflicted? Betta fish, torn fins

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? I put in a new heater yesterday and the tank is sitting at 80 degrees F. During the trip, however, it was at 76 degrees F. I have not yet purchased a test kit. Soon, when I have the money!

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 5 gallons, set up for 2 weeks now.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Aqueon 10 Quietflow Internal Filter

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? Just one betta fish

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? I did a 50-75% water change today and I plan on doing it every two weeks. I have not vacuumed my gravel.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? I have had the fish for a month and a half.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? I added a plastic plant at the same time as the filter (about two weeks ago).

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? I mostly feed my fish pellets, (2, twice a day) but will give it some of those little worm things about once a week.

Attachments

• IMG_7533.jpg
    IMG_7533.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7629.jpg
    IMG_7629.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7548.jpg
    IMG_7548.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 69
It's likely fin rot brought on by poor water quality as it doesn't sound like your tank will have cycled yet. Whilst your tank is going through a cycle you will need to do water changes often (every couple of days) so the toxins won't get to a point where they kill your fish. I would recommend some aquarium salt to help with his fins but remember when doing water changes only dose enough salt for the water you are replacing. DO NOT dose the entire tank for salt unless you have done a 100% water change as salt is only removed by changing the water.

Lastly I highly recommend a test kit as soon as possible, it's the only way to make sure your water isn't too toxic and the only way to know when the tank is cycled.

I'll buy a test kit soon. Can you explain the cycling to me?

Also, I had him go through 9 days of aquarium salt about two weeks ago when I suspected fin rot. Is it okay that I start him up on aquarium salt again, being that he just had it?

I'm getting a better idea of cycling now. Thank you!

Also, I bought a test kit. Here are the results:
pH: 7.6+
High pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite (NO2-): Slightly less than 0.25ppm
Nitrate (NO3-): 7 ppm

I'm getting a better idea of cycling now. Thank you!

Also, I bought a test kit. Here are the results:
pH: 7.6+
High pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite (NO2-): Slightly less than 0.25ppm
Nitrate (NO3-): 7 ppm

Yes, sounds like by your water parameters that you are in the beginning stages of cycling. I'd do water changes whenever ammonia gets to .25 (since you are doing it with fish in).

By the way - he has very pretty coloring!

Other than water changes at or above .25ppm ammonia, is there anything else I should do?

And thank you! I love my little fish.

Just keep an eye on him. If his fins get any worse or his behaviour changes I would recommend some aquarium salt. It's surprising how much of a difference the water changes will make.

Just keep an eye on him. If his fins get any worse or his behaviour changes I would recommend some aquarium salt. It's surprising how much of a difference the water changes will make.
Will do, thank you!

Oh also, be careful about what ornaments you put in with him. Any plastic fake plants might tear his fins. Try to stick with silk or real plants

Back
Top Bottom