betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no best. Just a matter of personal preference

+1 to smomus. Pick the one you like and you think is pretty. Chances are that one will be the best for you. :)

christine2012 said:
I just got a male crowntail for my son's 10 gallon. Boy he is a sharp looking fish ;)

Awesome!! Do I have to have the tank cycle? If so for how long??

Cycle it for a month at least. My favorite bettas are veil tails and half moon bettas.

harryggumb said:
Awesome!! Do I have to have the tank cycle? If so for how long??

Until its cycled. Lol. If you can, I highly recommend you give him at least 5 gallons. I think every betta deserves the space to show off. My betta goes all over the tank, he's actually the first betta I've ever seen with a personality. Because he's the first betta I've seen not kept in a bowl or a vase!

Even if they are in a bowl? Because I know some people who have kept Betta fish in a base or bowl

It doesn't mean that they were keeping them properly.

In my opinion, bettas deserve at least a 5 gallon tank of their own, which is filtered and heated.

I have 5 Bettas, 2 males & 3 females. They each have their own personality & if you really want to keep them healthy & happy get a tank that is at a minimum 5g. I had 3 of my 5 in 1g bowls/aquariums for about 3-4 months because I didn't know any better, believed all the hoopla about how they're perfectly fine in a small container. Yes they can survive but they don't thrive, I just re-arranged EVERYBODY this last weekend, the girls all went into my new 46g & the boys went into individual 10g tanks. The boys are ECSTATIC, Berry & Simon are much more active than they were in their 1g fish bowls, they can really stretch their fins out. Berry is a Crown tail, Simon a Veil tail. The girls had a few challenges the 1st couple of days but I think they've worked out the heirarchy however I may still get another 10g to move Violet into, not 100% sure yet, we'll see how much more comfortable she gets over the next few days. In any case, LOVE Bettas & they are much happier in a larger, heated aquarium.

christine2012 said:
Until its cycled. Lol. If you can, I highly recommend you give him at least 5 gallons. I think every betta deserves the space to show off. My betta goes all over the tank, he's actually the first betta I've ever seen with a personality. Because he's the first betta I've seen not kept in a bowl or a vase!

Awesome I have a 6g how do I know the tank is completely cycled?

shellieca said:
I have 5 Bettas, 2 males & 3 females. They each have their own personality & if you really want to keep them healthy & happy get a tank that is at a minimum 5g. I had 3 of my 5 in 1g bowls/aquariums for about 3-4 months because I didn't know any better, believed all the hoopla about how they're perfectly fine in a small container. Yes they can survive but they don't thrive, I just re-arranged EVERYBODY this last weekend, the girls all went into my new 46g & the boys went into individual 10g tanks. The boys are ECSTATIC, Berry & Simon are much more active than they were in their 1g fish bowls, they can really stretch their fins out. Berry is a Crown tail, Simon a Veil tail. The girls had a few challenges the 1st couple of days but I think they've worked out the heirarchy however I may still get another 10g to move Violet into, not 100% sure yet, we'll see how much more comfortable she gets over the next few days. In any case, LOVE Bettas & they are much happier in a larger, heated aquarium.

Awesome! Thanks for all of the input im thinking of using a 6g tank and getting 1 Betta now to decide on which one to get

Get yourself an API master kit (liquid). You can buy on-line for about $17. This will give you hundreds of reliable water parameter tests and help keep your fish healthy!

harryggumb said:

It will be cycled when your readings for ammonia and nitrite stay at zero. I'm doing fish in cycling with my betta and everything is in a manageable zone. I give him a %50 water change daily with prime. He's still happy as could be!

about the heater question. bettas are labriynth fish which they have breathing apparatus. it allows the fish to breath air from the surface. reason so is because where they are originally from, the temperature gets pretty hot, in very high temperatures, theres no air(water becomes low in oxygen), thats why they breath (have the ability) to breath air from the surface. a temperature is needed, but does not mean you crank up the heat.

Back
Top Bottom