betta half moon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humanis1993

Aquarium Advice Activist
OoK so it looks like my bettas fins are degrading, I know its not bites or nips from the other fish BC he appears to be the dominate in the tank. But I also know its not fin rot because he is a dark blue color and there is not a spot of red on him ruling out fin rot. Could it be that the filter is to strong or the substrate is tearinf his fins? If so what should I do about this? Can these torn fins lead to fin rot?:confused:

Picture of the fish + the tank? Are the places where the fins are degrading white or gray?

Idk how to put a picture on but yes there are bits that are degrading and white. Oh god what should I do?!

go to the little mountain thing at the top of a reply, and copy the url of the pic and put it in

Humanis1993 said:
OoK so it looks like my bettas fins are degrading, I know its not bites or nips from the other fish BC he appears to be the dominate in the tank. But I also know its not fin rot because he is a dark blue color and there is not a spot of red on him ruling out fin rot. Could it be that the filter is to strong or the substrate is tearinf his fins? If so what should I do about this? Can these torn fins lead to fin rot?:confused:

I have a blue betta that has finrot. His fins had a brownish tinge, and as I watched, I saw little fin flakes coming off. He's Getting better though. You have to look really close though.

OK there we go

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110503_184802.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110503_184802.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20110503_184929.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110503_184929.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 80
  • ForumRunner_20110503_184950.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110503_184950.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20110503_185011.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110503_185011.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 82
Do you guys need better pictures? I don't understand how he could've gotten fin rot though I do pwc the water is clear. The tank has been set up for 4 months now. And the bacterial filter has all been grown in all the fish are fine except him. (Did have a large out break of ich about two months ago)

Water parameters... unknown(in process of getting testing kit) fish in the tank,
2 betta females
1 pitbull pleco
1 Cory
1 molly
1 bolivian ram
2 zebra danios
2 other ones their live bearers

Tank size? I'll bet you it's the female bettas or the danios. The danios need schools of 6 and the females need a sorority in order to be kept with other females.

I do know that the water is good BC the other fish are acting normal and there are no "burns" on the fish

I don't believe its the danios BC they just chase each other and the male chases the females from time to time but never catches them. The two females are crowntails if that has any significance. I never see the two females fighting. They all getting along relatively well. Just the molly gets tackled/hit(not bitten)by the bolivian ram from time to time.

With that stocking... Your gonna need something more like a 29, and rehome the two females. Then add 4 more danios. I'll bet it's the bettas though.

Do you think it could be the bolivian ram? I know that they get tenprmental sotimes too

I somehow doubt it, but if it seems like it's causing problems... I'd just move the betta. The ram in anything smaller is pushing it.

Yeah I've moved my betta into a 2 gallon tank but ill be upgrading him to a ten gallon later this weekend

Back
Top Bottom