Betta help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonMccartney

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody,

I have a 60 litre or 13 gallon tank in which I have a female betta sorority. To be honest I'm only 8 months into the hobby and I am sort of learning as I go. The betta sorority was going great until about 1 week ago when one got really thin, even after eating and passed away within a few hours. Her fins were clamped, even her pectoral fins which I found quite strange. Since then I've lost two more to the same symptoms. One of my females has two ulcers on her body but shows no other signs of discontent. I am using myxazin to try and cure the tank, but after five days it doesn't appear to be working. Does anybody know what I have in the tank? I don't want to lose anymore of my precious bettas! Tank is heated to 28 Celsius. Water quality is:

Ph: 6.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10

I hope somebody can help before I lose my sorority.......

60 litre, 9 female bettas

26 litre, 1 male betta

Jason

9 betta's in a 13 gallon is a lot:3
Well, did you see if their feces were clear or white? I suspect maybe an infection or an internal parasite?

I have loads of hiding places eg caves plants terracotta pots. I also checked the www.aqadvisor.com website which said 9 is plenty for the filter I have. The pecking order was established I could tell who was queen betta and who was at the bottom, I was very careful in that respect( I took a week off work to monitor the tank and a single female was extracted for being too aggressive). Their poo actually did have me concerned as the bottom half is always the colour of the food I was feeding(atisons betta pro) and the top half was clear. Have I an internal parasite?

I would really appreciate help,

Jason

I agree, 9 female Bettas is a lot for that tank regardless of lots of plants & hidey holes. I have 10 in a 46g, I can't imagine them in a tank 30g less. In any case, did you actually see the thin ones eating when you fed your fish? Are you sure the ulcers aren't due to fighting? They can lock onto each other, I've seen it 1st hand. Are you sure they weren't be bullied by the other females?

Honestly, none of them are fighting. Unless they are fighting when I'm asleep. I don't think they are sores from fighting. As soon as I noticed the first girl was sick I took her out and put her in a nursery tank where she ate right up until she passed. The same with the second one. What is the best treatment for an internal parasite?

It is possible they fight when you're not looking but you should see some signs such as nipped fins & such. I know mine still puff up & posture with each other. When you feed them, do you have all of them up at the top to make sure each one is eating? I always open the lid & wait until I can count all of the girls at the top then drop the food & I physically see each one getting something to eat. One of the girls usually doesn't come to the top so I watch to make sure shes getting the pellets that sink. I know some people with a sorority will have a girl that doesn't get to eat because the others prevent it. I'm not sure you have an internal parasite but its possible, personally I've never had one too thin but they have bloated. Sometimes a simple Epsom salt treatment is all that's needed. Sorry I'm not the best at suggesting meds, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Yeah I do the same, I make sure they all come to the top and try and feed any that don't eat separately. Another girl became lethargic yesterday with clamped fins and she isn't eating, just staying in one spot. I did a 50% water change yesterday once I noticed this, also adding in salts. I picked up some anti internal bacteria at my LFS which I put in last night. Fingers crossed it works I don't wanna lose anymore! Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom