betta male and shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomherndon

Aquarium Advice Activist
If I get small ghost shrimp(?) to breed, can I keep some adults in a two gallon betta tank without losing them to predation or overloading the undergravel system in it? I'm assuming larva(?)/juvenile would convert to Betta food. I would move some java fern sprouts(?) with them to provide cover and additional surfaces to browse.

I would not reccomend the combo, as the betta will most likely kill the shrimp. They will either be eaten or torn up as the betta plays with them.

I think that most ghost shrimp you get from the store only breed in brackish/saltwater

I had six amano shrimp with a young male betta. Didn't lose any shrimp, but if the betta ever saw one out in the open, he chased them. So they spent the whole day hiding in a knot hole in a piece of drift wood all day long. You couldn't see the knot hole when the tank was in placed.

So since they were never seen and seemed to just be eatting the wood in the tank, leaving small pieces of wood on the sand and making a mess, I just moved them into the goldfish tank.

Now just about everyone will tell you not to put shrimp in with goldfish. I can only guess that I've been lucky because I added the shrimp while the goldfish was still very small. So even though he could eat them, he leaves them alone.

Now on the flip side, the gold fish has been in the tank with some rosy reds. I recently added a few more, and one was a relatively tiny one. Well since the evening I added him to the main tank and turned the light out, I haven't seem him since. (He might still be hiding somewhere, but after 4 days, I don't have any hope left).

Back
Top Bottom