Betta mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottishscales

Aquarium Advice Activist
I originally posted this in the wrong place by accident :p

I have a 10 gallon tank getting set up for my betta this weekend. I put him in my community tank because i had luck with it before. This time he got bullied the first day and so i took him out and am setting up his own kingdom. [I know about the betta not being community thing].

I plan on planting the tank, with what im not sure yet. And it will have a tetra whisper 20i for a filter [im going to make custom filter pads for it], and a small heater.

I want something other than just the betta in that tank. Any ideas on bottom feeders, frogs, or the like to sort of "fill in" this tank?

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn

African Dwarf Frogs.. I love them!! I've had up to 4 with my Betta.. he hangs out w. 3 currently in a 15g tank.

I know people have kept corys with bettas but even so you'd need a larger tank for a healthy school of corys.

If you plan on going planted like heavily planted. A red cherry shrimp colony may be possible too.

It really depends on the betta. If he's relatively mellow, a group of small, less active schoolers may work. A recommendation that I have seen a lot of is harlequin rasboras, as well as some of the more robust tetra species. Another idea may be some shrimp as mentioned above, however bettas have a habit of deciding to snack on them. Snails are also common.
A small bottom dweller like the pit bull pleco, pygmy cory, or otocinclus might work. The pit bull wants to be in groups of 3, gets to about 2" long, and is mostly nocturnal, though as it gets used to you and its tank mates you may see it out during the day more.
The pygmy cory gets to be a little over an inch long and likes to be in groups as well, 4 or more should keep them happy. They occasionally rise to the surface to gulp air, but spend most of their time at the bottom of the tank. Another mostly nocturnal fish that will happily come out during the day as well, particularly around feeding time. These guys need a sandy or small, smooth substrate to avoid injuring their barbels which they use to find food.
Otos like to be in a larger group (4 is ok, 6 is better) and grow to be about 1.5" long. They're algae eaters and eat pretty well constantly, so if your tank is short on algae, make sure to feed them fresh veggies or at least veggie rounds and algae tabs often. These guys are a little more active and might stress a betta in a small tank, so they'd be my last choice of the three.

Ive had my ADFs for a little over 8mo now, the group I have are rather active. I have mini terracotta pots sideways so they can go inside them instead of any logs, they love floating at the top and letting the waterfall from the filter push them to the bottom of the tank and they start all over again.
I've had Plecos with them as well and skirt tetras. I've seen a lot of people with neon tetras, never tried it though.
I had a blue mystery snail. I loved the snails.. but they get INSANE with breeding!! I had 2 sneek home under a larger snail I purchased at my LFS. I thought it was neat, babies.. cool! Yeah, not really. They say if they're breeding, you're feeding too much. I've gone as far as going on a snail killing spree and I kept 6 in a huge vase with bamboo and did one algae pellet (the size of a pea) and never fed again, next thing I know.. I've got 52 snails in this vase!!!!? I would definitely suggest that you do your research on snails ((I wish I would have done more)) because the smaller ones like to get under the larger ones shell and that was a complete disaster for me. It got so bad my 15g is empty, no water, nothing.
Would I get another snail? SURE! I kept one from my insane outbreak, the biggest one I could see. lol- BUT-- he lives on his own in a "my fun fish tank" with bamboo, so he/she can be better monitored.

Back
Top Bottom