Betta needs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrskater1999

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am considering setting up a 5 gallon Betta tank. What is all needed for a good setup?

Food get a variety like some blood worms and pellets. You will need a dechlorinator if you have city water. I suggest black sand. Either live or fake plants. And a filter also a heater depending on where you live.

But get some other opinions I'm not an expert on bettas

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the same as any other tropical fish. Heater, filter, cycled tank. They prefer planted tanks, a still water surface, somewhere to hide like a log or cave, water heated to 80F, a good quality floating pellet, broad leafed plants to rest on, somewhere to get out of the light and no sharp decor.

Mumma.of.two said:
Well, the same as any other tropical fish. Heater, filter, cycled tank. They prefer planted tanks, a still water surface, somewhere to hide like a log or cave, water heated to 80F, a good quality floating pellet, broad leafed plants to rest on, somewhere to get out of the light and no sharp decor.

One more thing... A water level of around 6 inches. They live in stagnant water naturally so filter isnt needed as long as you are happy to keep on top of the cleaning.

One more thing... A water level of around 6 inches. They live in stagnant water naturally so filter isnt needed as long as you are happy to keep on top of the cleaning.

There is no need to keep the water so shallow, and in fact I'd recommend against it. Bettas are extremely curious fish and love the extra space to explore. As long as you have a tall plant or decoration to rest in near the surface they're happy as can be in deeper tanks.

I find my bettas are happiest if you have decorations with a lot of ins and outs for them to explore. Make sure you do the "thumb test" where you can easily stick your thumb through every hole and check that all edges are rounded so their curiosity doesn't get them stuck or have their fins get snagged.

Edit: Something that can spice up their day with those decorations... If you feed them frozen food with a turkey baster, squirt the food into some of the hidey holes. They seem to get a kick out of "hunting" for their food. You'll want to take note of where you hide the food so you can properly clean the decorations at water change time in case they miss some though.

I respectfully disagree.

We're not talking about a wild betta in a puddle here, we're talking about a fish in a tank. Filter (cycled tank), heater, enough space to extend their finnage without damage.

LyndaB said:
I respectfully disagree.

We're not talking about a wild betta in a puddle here, we're talking about a fish in a tank. Filter (cycled tank), heater, enough space to extend their finnage without damage.

I agree. The betta we keep are long removed from the wild. Its kinda like giving the care requirements for a carp for a fancy goldfish.

heater, filter, silk plants or live plants, lots of fun little caves and decor for them to explore. Make sure that there is nothing in there that they can rip their fins on.

Have a lot of different decorations and plants in there. I have bettas and they love exploring. For algae problems, you can add a black mystery snail. I have one in all my Betta tanks and the bettas never bother the snails. In fact, one of my Betta and snail pairs have even become great friends and the Betta loves protecting and watching the snail while she works. ^__^

Have a lot of different decorations and plants in there. I have bettas and they love exploring. For algae problems, you can add a black mystery snail. I have one in all my Betta tanks and the bettas never bother the snails. In fact, one of my Betta and snail pairs have even become great friends and the Betta loves protecting and watching the snail while she works. ^__^

^ +1!

Snails are great betta buddies. Or a shrimp, that one depends on the betta's personality though. Some don't mind shrimp, some hate 'em. I'd try to avoid Mystery snails and go for Nerite snails if possible though... Nerite snails can't breed in freshwater :) I still have nightmares about the snail population explosion I got from the one Mystery snail I tried. I guess it came pregnant or carrying eggs already and overtook my 30gallon in the space of a couple months...

I have a betta hammock for my betta he luvs it..i also agree more then 6" of water...thats like leavin them in that plastic cup they sit in at the pet stores..how happy can they possibly b ..mine likes a umm medium current filter he likes floatin in it..lol i feed him a variety of things to peek his interest n he has otos as buddies...not sure if thats very common though..petsmart suggested them but i would research it in case i just got lucky.

I have a betta in a 55 gallon semi aggressive community and that is my happiest betta. The more water, the better (in almost all cases). I have another male in a ten gallon who LOVES to nap on his lilypads. It was a $3 fake plant and it was worth it. I'd have to agree and say 6 inches is probably not enough. My betta in the 55 loves to swim and excercise his fins, while my other betta is very lazy... You must take in to consideration the fish's preference as well. I personally won't put a fish in a tank below 10g. the fish love to swim! Why deprive them? Why let them "survive" when they can thrive. I would recommend getting a cheap 10g and seeing how he does there. If he is very active, I would recommend upgrading, it could never hurt! If he is not so active, let him be lazy! It's who he is! Lol

Happy Fishkeeping :)

xx wryly

I have a betta in a 55 gallon semi aggressive community and that is my happiest betta. The more water, the better (in almost all cases). I have another male in a ten gallon who LOVES to nap on his lilypads. It was a $3 fake plant and it was worth it. I'd have to agree and say 6 inches is probably not enough. My betta in the 55 loves to swim and excercise his fins, while my other betta is very lazy... You must take in to consideration the fish's preference as well. I personally won't put a fish in a tank below 10g. the fish love to swim! Why deprive them? Why let them "survive" when they can thrive. I would recommend getting a cheap 10g and seeing how he does there. If he is very active, I would recommend upgrading, it could never hurt! If he is not so active, let him be lazy! It's who he is! Lol

Happy Fishkeeping :)

xx wryly

+10000 to this! I've never heard more fantastic advice on betta keeping. Unfortunately, I have very limited space and money, so my poor bettas are stuck in smaller tanks, but I've always wanted to upgrade for them. Although, I am moving one of my bettas to a 30 gallon when I do set up that tank.

This is a very good and genuine statement.

Back
Top Bottom