Betta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have a Betta ? I have him in a 2.5 gallon. Anyone use a heater? What kind? Tank temp 70. Too cold??????

Hi, I have never kept 1 in a tank that small but they need it much hotter than that, they prefer it hot, I kept mine in a community at 80f but I have heard even slightly higher than this is ideal for a species thank.

Any should be as long as its got an adjustable thermostat, just start off at the lowest temp setting then turn it up until the light that says its on lights up and just do quarter turn adjustments until you get the desired temp.

I have a Tetra Whisper heater i got from Walmart. It keeps my betta tank right at 80 but it's a ten gallon tank. The packaging says it's for 2 to 15 gallons. But it's NOT adjustable. It cuts off when it reaches 80 and turns back on when the temp lowers a degree or so.

bkiggy said:
Anyone have a Betta ? I have him in a 2.5 gallon. Anyone use a heater? What kind? Tank temp 70. Too cold??????

When I have to use a small tank I have what's called a Slim Heater for bowls 7.5 watts, its not adjustable but it keeps a 1g at 78F. It's flat so it sits in the bottom under the substrate, has a suction cup to stick to the side. The packaging says for 2-5g. It's very difficult to find an adjustable heater that'll fit in a tank that small but it is possible, I had one from Petco at one point but upgraded all of my tanks to bigger so I took it back.

I did get the 7.5w for 1 g emergency tank and for 2.5g tank. Keeps at 80! But I still don't trust it - I look at temp everyday.

Back
Top Bottom