Betta Sorority Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's been a few months in (two, I believe) and it's been relatively fine. I had six girls in a ten gallon. They built up the pecking order and were interacting great. They honestly were the most entertaining tank to watch. But, about two weeks ago, one of my females, Madeline (the dominant), decided she didn't like one of the lower ones, Gwendolyn. And, well, Gwendolyn is no longer with us. Then, two days ago, Madeline got into a fight with one of the other top females, Roxanne, and killed her. Madeline got pretty beat up and passed away yesterday.

All of these fights happened when I was not there, otherwise I would have intervened. From what I can figure and what my boyfriend is claiming is that Madeline just was a rogue fish. On a normal day, they were all basically peaceful with each other. Madeline always picked the fights and always was the start of each of the females going off to there own little cave.

Anyway, today I'm going off to Petco to pick up a few more females. The remaining three I have, Princess, Jezebel, and Nameless, are doing great. I can already see Princess moving up to be the dominant. So, to curve aggression, I need to build up the numbers again. Hopefully all goes well.

So, this was my little update on the whole situation. I thought I should put my situation out there since there aren't very many other places I have seen this sort of thing being talked about. My advice: watch your fish very, very closely and one of them kills another, separate immediately. Or she might just kill one of your favorites.

Aww sorry for ur loses! Most be painful to lose 3 Betta in such a short time! I wish u all the best with ur new stock :) btw I love the name u gave ur fish! It's so adorable!

Does your ten gallon have any hiding places? You should consider upgrading your sorority so that there is more room, so there is less aggression.

Back
Top Bottom