Betta tank; lots of questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I’ve been asking questions on a few different threads but I want to put it all together and get more opinions.

I want to get a 2.5 gallon tank for a male betta. I would really like to get 1 african dwarf frog as well, but i don’t want to get a tank any bigger than a 2.5 gal. I plan on getting at least one live plant. I have learned that i do need a heater.

My questions are-
1. Will the bioload get out of control with a betta and frog?
2. Has anyone done this setup before and succeeded?
3. If I can’t do a frog, could I get a snail instead?
4. Can i get a decoration with holes that are a little too small for a betta, or would he wedge himself there and get stuck?
5. Any tips on picking a healthy betta? (rescuing from petsmart or petco)
6. What food should I get for the frog?

I'd really prefer no bigger than a 2.5 gallon. I’d be okay with just a betta, but I’d like to have a frog (or maybe a snail) as well.
:thanks: in advance!

Also, would mystery snails or nerite snails be better (if I can't get a frog)?

Okay, first of all I suggest getting a tank with a filter because the top can produce a gross whitish clear film over the top which can be harmful for the betta. It will prevent him from reaching the surface for air and you'll have to skim the top daily just to feed him. Also, in the summer or spring, still water can attract mosquitoes and they can lay eggs in the tank. (It's happened to me before and I've never had a tank without a filter since.) There are a few options that are just over 2.5g which aren't much bigger that do come with filters.
For your questions:
1. IMO bettas aren't super messy like goldfish are so I don't think adding 1 other animal would hurt (especially if you get a little bit bigger tank w/ a filter). However, I have no experience with dwarf frogs so I would research it more just to be safe. I also don't know if they would be compatible or not.
2. I have done this before with only a glass cube and a heater w/ gravel (that's it). My betta lasted for a little while but not as long as he should have. Bettas can live up to 6+ years from what I've heard. Actually, I strongly suggest getting an Aqueon Evolve 2 or 4 as they are sleek looking and perfect size for bettas and perhaps 1 or 2 more animals. I have an Evolve 4 right now that I am soon going to turn into a betta tank. My mom got a betta about 2 weeks ago and its just in a cube w/o a heater or filter and she feels bad for it. I'm going to adopt him as one of my own and I am super excited to get his new home set up! You can PM me if you are interested in getting an Evolve 2 or 4 because (this post is already getting super long sorry) I have tips I can give you about the tank that IMO are really helpful and I can help you as much as I can if you have any problems along the way.
3. I'm not sure if the betta would consider snails food or not.
4. What would the decoration be for besides a betta? If the holes are almost exactly his size he might try getting into it and get stuck. If its super small or super large holes it should be fine.
5. Make sure its breathing (obviously lol). Look for any signs of fin rot or Ich. If there is a lot of waste in the cup it should be fine unless it's clearly making the betta sick or the water color is murky. clear water is always a plus. Get to know what types of bettas there are (ex: king bettas (not recommended for small tanks because they get big), delta tail, veil tail, crown tail, double tail, half moon, etc.) and what their fins look like so that you can tell if they're damaged or not. I wouldn't pick one with missing scales because it could potentially lead to other problems and make them prone to illnesses.
6. I have no idea. I've never kept one before.

Each betta has a different personality so i think it would be a 50-50 kind of thing if the betta would attack either of those snails or not. I would research it more. If you densely plant the tank your betta would see it less often. They would be fine together in a larger tank like a 5+g tank but I'm not sure about a smaller one. Also, the snail feeds on algae and if there is little algae in the tank then you will have to supplement it. So, I would only recommend getting snails if you have an algae problem.

PM me if you are interested in getting an Evolve 2 (gallon) or 4 (gallon) because there are some things you should know about it before getting it. :D I hope you found this helpful!

I've got a tank picked out that I think I will get (if i do get a tank).
What do you think? It comes with everything but fish and decor and gravel, and I'll probably get some different food.

My RCS tank is an Evolve 4, I had to do a lot of mods on it. It's a nice looking tank but I'm not sure I'd buy one again.

PetSmart has an Aqueon Betta Bow2.5 it comes with the whole setup, my g.f has one and has frogs in it. They're quite nice..

Edit.. a black one for a few $$ cheaper and it comes with a separating screen.

I think thats an adorable tank! A couple weeks ago I wanted to get one but decided to set up my evolve instead. It will work well for a betta and maybe you can squeeze in a frog or two or a snail maybe. Here is a review on the tank that might be helpful. Also, if you don't really like the look of all the wires hanging in the back you can paint the outside of the back of the tank black (or whatever color you want). Black will make the colors in the tank more vibrant. There are many ways to do it but I find spray-painting the easiest. If you look it up on youtube they can walk you through it. I'm excited for you and it would be awesome to see some pictures of the tank after it's set up!! :D

Jaeroo, thank you so much for all the help! I'll bump this thread and tell you if I decide to get a tank and post a thread with pictures. I really want the tank, its my parents I have to convince. :) Thanks again!

Jaeroo, thank you so much for all the help! I'll bump this thread and tell you if I decide to get a tank and post a thread with pictures. I really want the tank, its my parents I have to convince. :) Thanks again!

No problem! Lol I can relate with the whole convincing the parents thing. Im looking forward to the pictures! :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You guys mind if I chime in? :)
1) I wouldn't think the bioload would get too out of hand once the bacteria get established, just keep an eye on it for a few weeks.
2) I've only had a betta and frog separate, as long as it is for sure a Dwarf and not a Clawed frog, I would just watch out for fin nipping (those long fins are tempting) and have a net ready, just in case either decides they don't like the other. I did have a Dwarf in a 10 gallon community tank at one point (which wasn't a good idea, but I didn't know any better at the time), he seemed pretty chill, so the frog probably won't be the problem lol.
3) I honestly don't think the betta would bother a snail, even if they hate each other, he shouldn't be able to kill one (thy're pretty quick to go back in their shell).
4) Toss up, depends on how smart or dumb the betta is. I had one that would only get stuck on the filter intake tube IF he swam right up next to it. Guess what he never learned to stay away from? -.-
5) What Jaeroo said, except I'll add that you should also look for it to move around when you mess with the cup.
6) There should be food for the frog wherever you get it at, I think Tadpole bites is the name of one type.

I'll add here, that I had a terrible problem getting the only two Dwarfs I have ever owned to eat. I even took tweezers and waved the food in front of their nose. I have no idea if this is a shared problem or not, just thought I would share.
The tanks looks pretty nice, by the way :)

I'll add here, that I had a terrible problem getting the only two Dwarfs I have ever owned to eat. I even took tweezers and waved the food in front of their nose. I have no idea if this is a shared problem or not, just thought I would share.
The tanks looks pretty nice, by the way :)

I always feed mine right before I turn my light out for the night.. I started in something shallow for them to get the hint they had to come to the surface to eat. Now I know when they're hungry because they float at the top like they're on a lazy river.
ADFs are most active twards evening/night time.

I have only had the two, so I wasn't sure if it was the sort of thing everyone deals with. I had better luck with the first, but he decided to sit upon the head of a Bristlenose pleco. He was dead before I could grab the net. :(
That pleco also swam up and slapped a bunch of Tiger Barbs away from his algae disk, and attacked my hand once when I was trying to move him. Meanest fish ever lol.

I have had ADFs with Bettas but they never lived long seeing the Betta ate all the food before they can make to it even target feeding them. I now have a 5 gallon with 2 ADFs and guppy trio and they are fat and happy lol.

5 gallon planted(1m/2f guppy and 2 ADFs)
10 gallon planted divided Betta(1 male and 1 female)

I would just get a regular 2.5g tank.

You could get a 5g tank or like a 3g cube or the 5g Fluval spec or Chi or the 6g Edge? or the Evolve 4

Even in a 2.5 I think the bio load will be fine, the beta will be alot better off in a 2.5 with a filter and heather than in a little box at the store

Thanks so much Rav_Roth! that was super helpful. Your pleco sounds really mean lol.:)
I read that you have to feed the frogs with a dish or something. I also did research on ADFs vs ACFs so I'll be good. :)
ScaryFatKidGT, do you mean the bioload with a frog as well as a betta?

Back
Top Bottom