Betta tank mate suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just upgraded my Betta bowl to a 10g tank and was wandering what types of fish can I add in with him. It's currently just him and some pink pearl ramshorns. I've heard of people mixing fish with bettas and yes I know it depends on the bettas temperment but what can work. I would like to add some glofish, a pair of oto cats, and either some albino cories or a dwarf Mexican crayfish. I'm doing a kind of simulated salt water tank. So anything I can add that resembles a sw fish and can survive with a Betta would be great. Oh and non jumpers its a open top rimless.

Cool thanks. What about any of the glofish they have danios, barbs and the larger tetras would any of them be ok. I know people do the smaller tetras but I'm not sure about the larger ones.

Cool thanks. What about any of the glofish they have danios, barbs and the larger tetras would any of them be ok. I know people do the smaller tetras but I'm not sure about the larger ones.

Danios can be fin nippers and need more swimming room IMO then a 10g can offer. I have a school of the larger glow tetras and one is huge, close to 2.5x2 inches. And what kind of barbs are we talking about, like tiger or cherry

I got this quote from here http://aquaticescapesaquariums.m.we...164&fw_sig_permissions=none&fb_sig_network=fw

"For smaller aquariums, you will want to (obviously) choose smaller fish such as platies, cory cats, or danios. In a smaller aquarium it is important to choose fish that are faster moving."

I know you mentioned danios can be fin nippers. Are they real bad about it?

Yeah I figured the tiger barbs where out. So the glotetras would be to big?

Danios are too active for a 10g IMHO. You need smaller fish such as neons, embers, harlequins, etc. Small cories could work in a group of 4-5. A pair if otos could work but not until the tank is well established (6+ months).

Ok so no go on any glofish. Embers? Do u mean endless?

The filters, decorations, and substrate are already over 6 months old everything in the tank came from well established tanks.

So so far its

1 male Betta
2 otos
1 dwarf Cray

Now we just need to figure out the last few. Something that looks like it could be saltwater.

Oh here's a few pics of the tank. I'm going to get some dry reef looking rock to stack up in place of the barrel.

ForumRunner_20130813_173646.jpg

ForumRunner_20130813_173704.jpg

Ok so no go on any glofish. Embers? Do u mean endless?

The filters, decorations, and substrate are already over 6 months old everything in the tank came from well established tanks.

So so far its

1 male Betta
2 otos
1 dwarf Cray

Now we just need to figure out the last few. Something that looks like it could be saltwater.

Oh here's a few pics of the tank. I'm going to get some dry reef looking rock to stack up in place of the barrel.

Ember tetras, cool fish. Mabye chill rasboras or something similar

Bettas can be jumpers btw :(, just a heads up.

My Betta is with Harlequin Rasboras, and Glowlight tetras and he is fine with them. As you mentioned, each has their own personality, so make sure you can exchange them.

You can hold the cup up to the other fish in the store and see if he gets all cranky about them, maybe that would be a start. I have had several community Bettas over the years, but I would say maybe only 1 out of 5 or so.

Make sure there is a few places with soft plants laying in the tank for the Betta to rest on at different levels in the tank, especially near the top. Banana plants have perfect leaves for a resting Betta.

Horned Nerite snails would look salty!

I was also thinking of Black Phantom Tetras (need a little school too), as they kinda resemble angels, though maybe I have heard they can be nippers, maybe check into them more if it interests you.

The Chilis Boraras Brigittae, are really small and need to be in a school, but you could have a bunch in there maybe 8-10 depending on other stock levels. They need very tiny food particles other wise they can starve. Only the dominant males are the super dark red color, the rest are kinda orangish.

Sounds like a fun tank!

Galaxy_Rasbora.jpg

I think its a galaxy rasboura mabey do 5 I don't know much about them could they work. Along with some of theese. I thinkits a rasboura rubrodorsalis. Mabey do 3.

Rasbora-rubrodorsalis-1.jpg

Bettas can be jumpers btw :(, just a heads up.

My Betta is with Harlequin Rasboras, and Glowlight tetras and he is fine with them. As you mentioned, each has their own personality, so make sure you can exchange them.

You can hold the cup up to the other fish in the store and see if he gets all cranky about them, maybe that would be a start. I have had several community Bettas over the years, but I would say maybe only 1 out of 5 or so.

Make sure there is a few places with soft plants laying in the tank for the Betta to rest on at different levels in the tank, especially near the top. Banana plants have perfect leaves for a resting Betta.

Horned Nerite snails would look salty!

I was also thinking of Black Phantom Tetras (need a little school too), as they kinda resemble angels, though maybe I have heard they can be nippers, maybe check into them more if it interests you.

The Chilis Boraras Brigittae, are really small and need to be in a school, but you could have a bunch in there maybe 8-10 depending on other stock levels. They need very tiny food particles other wise they can starve. Only the dominant males are the super dark red color, the rest are kinda orangish.

Sounds like a fun tank!

Thanks for the info. I have abreeder net il be putting him into when I add the rocks ad the other fish ill give them a day or two to settle in before I release him. I do have some stem plants in there and some rhizome plants will also be adding some water lettuce to float.

I would leave one stem just floating, unless you have a very nice long one which will kind of loop around to make a hammock. On the side which has the least flow from the pump filter.

Sometimes they Betta will flare and chase other fish but not bite them, so you kinda just watch and see how he behaves.

That said, there have been numerous comments about how after several months or many months, of completely peaceful co-habitation, there is a Betta massacre and they go crazy tearing up everything in their path. I have had this happen with a female Betta, don't know why...caught her before she could kill anything, but she was biting fish like crazy.

This happened to me with African Dwarf Frogs. Completely amicable relationship with them for several months. In the course of a week 2 dead and one bitten frog. (only inhabitants were the frogs and the Betta btw) I finally caught the Betta mercilessly attacking the frog over and over again before I could get them apart. :eek: It was after that I realized what must have happened to the other ones. :nono:

Recently a member here had this problem. Just so you can be watching out for any possible aggression.

Back
Top Bottom