Betta tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julixttx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Are there anything bettas usually go well with in a tank? I've a 10 gallon with plenty of spots to hide where my betta doesn't go. Avg tank heat is about 23-27 degrees celcious

Depends on the personality of the Betta. Some are nightmares like Nigel's on here and won't accept any tankmates. I kept my bettas with ghost shrimp, ADF and mystery snails.

Amano shrimp work as well. Doing actual fish is trial and error whether the Betta likes them or not.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Make sure any fish u try don't resemble bettas. Have heard male guppies don't fare well at all. Due to the nature of these fish they are usually better off alone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got some mystery snails today, and my betta is shy and once I put in the snail bag the bettas tank he swam away

I would NOT try male guppies, serpae tetra, many barbs, or gouramis, of course there are no 100% guarantees in the fish world when it comes to how fish will get along. Those few in particular have been pretty much proven to be a disaster waiting to happen.

You could try something like Chili Rasboras. I've known them to be peaceful and active, but not nippy, which is EXTREMELY important when choosing Betta tank mates. I've also heard that Dwarf Frogs can coexist peacefully in a 10 gallon tank with Bettas. Hopefully that gives you a starting point!

I was thinking some dwarf frogs and a mini school of neon tetras? I've heard that they can go in with bettas

Most shrimp also work as long as your betta doesn't see them as food. I have one of my bettas with snails and ghost shrimp.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Most shrimp also work as long as your betta doesn't see them as food. I have one of my bettas with snails and ghost shrimp.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Cherry shrimp are notorious for being food because of their bright coloration.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yes they are clear so bettas typically don't see them as well. Mine sees them but doesn't bother them!

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Is it normal for a betta to flare up when it's swimming hard? I also added my snails in and the betta tried to poke them once then gave up haha.

He's flaring up quite a bit now but isn't bothering the snails? Is that normal?

Is it normal for a betta to flare up when it's swimming hard? I also added my snails in and the betta tried to poke them once then gave up haha.

If he is having to fight the current you might need a filter mod. There's plenty of DIY solutions to help so he doesn't have to fight it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Alright haha I'm thinking like 3 ghost shrimp or so, and 5/6 neon tetras?

Alright haha I'm thinking like 3 ghost shrimp or so, and 5/6 neon tetras?

Like stated fish can be hit or miss. Especially with the bright coloration on neons. You could try 1 and see how he reacts.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Alright, do you think something like a black and white Molly or a full black or full white fish would be alright?

Back
Top Bottom