Betta tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vthokie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read somewhere online that bettas do not like to be in tanks over 10 gallons because they feel the need to watch the entire area, and this can stress them out if the area is too large. This sounds bogus to me, otherwise you'd have a lot of stressed fish in the wild.

Anyway, I'm thinking of setting up a betta tank so I thought I would see what any experienced betta keepers had to say about it. I'm thinking of a 10g or 20g long for my betta.

Thanks!

I have never heard this before. IMO the larger the tank the better. Just do not have any tankmates that will make the Betta feel threatened.

Either tank will be just fine for a betta. My dad has one in a 30g (actually male and female) and one in a 10g. Both do just fine.

As for tankmates try not to get any fish with long flowing fins. I've seen males chase these fish around a lot.

I have a male betta in my 55 gallon tank. He doesn't seem to have a problem with any of his tankmates (cories, ottos, platies, pleco, gourami) or the tank size.

in their natural environment betta have nearly endless surrounding.

so i dont think too much space is a problem.

if u have a large tank with bettas only i guess putting in lots of long plants will make them feel at home.

I agree with everything said above. I just recently moved my betta boy to my 29g tank from a 10g. It is heavily planted though and he is the biggest fish in the tank. He swims around and hangs out in the plants. He will come greet me when I go up to the tank, so I know he is happy. You just have to be careful picking tankmates. I also think plants help them feel more secure.

I have a betta in a 29g. Before we had him in a breeder container thing, but since moving him to the bigger tank he seems much happier and more colorful

(btw vthokie, go hokies!)

Thanks for the replies. I figured a large tank would be fine, but just thought I'd check in case there was something about betta behavior that I wasn't aware of.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom