Betta tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to get a betta tank. I want something between 2 gallons (absolute minimum but if there is a great tank that size would be willing to get) and 3.5 gallons. It will be a planted tank. I was thinking the fluval spec 2.6 gallon. I have the 5 gallon and really like it! But I want to know what other people like as betta tanks. The 5 is a shrimp tank which is why I'm not putting a betta in it. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone

I want to get a betta tank. I want something between 2 gallons (absolute minimum but if there is a great tank that size would be willing to get) and 3.5 gallons. It will be a planted tank. I was thinking the fluval spec 2.6 gallon. I have the 5 gallon and really like it! But I want to know what other people like as betta tanks. The 5 is a shrimp tank which is why I'm not putting a betta in it. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone

I have a 3 gallon marineland crescent tank for my Betta and he loves it but I do plan on upgrading to a 5 gallon for him eventually. Bettas like a lot of plants (which is great that you are planning on a planted tank) but they are also pretty active so need swimming space.. A 2 gallon would be too tiny I think! Plus the smaller the tank the more maintenance and frequent cleanings it needs which makes it hard to cycle. Also, contrary to popular belief Bettas need clean water just like other fish so you need a filter and a heater... So add all the plants, heater, filter, substrate, and any other decorations in a smaller tank and he or she will be so crowded!

As I've read from more experienced fish keepers, the biggest tank that you can afford would be best in any case :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ive got mine in a 5 gallon Marineland crescent and he is super happy. I tried giving him a snail buddy, but he kept trying to eat the snails antenna, so snail got moved to big tank. I love the look of the tank I got, plus the low flow filter is ideal for the slow moving betta. Just a thought, I would consider this tank.

Ok, thanks guys, and j know they need clean water and stuff. I like nano tanks and I'm used to caring for small tanks. I don't ideally want a 2 gallon... I really like the fluval spec, but I'm looking around.

Sent from my iPhone

Fwiw, I keep 3 of my 4 bettas in 2.5 G tanks, the 4th one has a 5G. They have many plants, Hygro difformis, anubias, a tiny bit of java or bolbitis fern, a lot of moss, mostly java, but some others too, and a few frogbits. Each tank has an 8 inch round lamp on it, with a spiral 6500 K bulb, sitting right on top, or clamped within an inch or two of the top. I also have translucent mesh covers on the tanks, as I've had Bettas jump.

I do not do water changes often and I do not have filters or heaters, though if it's a very cold winter I might have to think about adding some heat.. I'll find out I guess. They changed the heating system here, up to now, it's always been too hot, most often I've had to run fans to keep it cool enough.

The plants consume all the ammonia and whatnot. All the plants came from cycled tanks, and while I did not cycle the Betta tanks, regular testing has shown me the plants and BB that are in these tanks are all that's needed to keep the water parameters in good shape. Testing always shows 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and between 0 and <10 nitrates.

I found this surprising, but it works very well. I top up for evaporation, and about every 8 weeks, I do change most of the water, in the process of sucking up all the crud off the bottom of the tanks. They are bare bottoms, though I do keep a few oak leaves and an almond leaf in each tank, replacing them only when they are reduced to threads. There are few snails in the tanks too, but I remove any nuisance ones I find whenever I find them. I prefer to use Nerites in their tanks, but the 5G is also a temporary home to a bunch of Giant Ramshorn snails, and so far, the fish has not bothered them or their antennae. I keep an eye out to see he doesn't nibble them and so far, so good.

Some of the plants have a small snippet of a plant weight on them to prevent them all from floating, as there's no substrate.. just makes it easier to clean up. I also worry about a Betta's fins being abraded on some substrates, as I've seen this happen. It needs to be smooth and soft if you do have substrate.

I feed mostly live food, some frozen. The majority of the live stuff is aquatic and thus does not die if the fish takes some time to find and eat it. Of the 4 fish, two do not like man made food at all. One only eats if he's literally starving and even then, not much. He wants blackworms, and will also take fly larvae, flies and I'm hoping he's going to like scuds too. The other picky guy loves scuds and hunts them avidly, preferring them to black worms. I haven't had him very long, so hopefully he likes other things too. Given his hunting habit, I call him Scud, and he's got the 5G tank. It was my QT, will be again once I get another small tank for him and for the Giant Ramshorns. They appear to like it in there, they've laid more eggs in it.

I would disagree that Bettas are active fish too. They can be, but for the most part they don't move a lot. They're very good at energy conservation, and while I don't doubt some of them are more active than others, of my four, all spend most of their time just hanging around, except at feeding time. Even then, it takes them a minute or so to recognize food's being served and come to get it. Scud hasn't learned this at all yet, he ignores everything until he's hungry and then goes looking for it on the bottom. Weird.. but every fish is an individual.

Wow! Thank you for all of that information!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone

They are tropical fish and thrive at temperatures between 78-83F. They are less active when in water that is not warm enough. While Bettas may survive and seem well in certain conditions, it is different from them thriving.

They are tropical fish and thrive at temperatures between 78-83F. They are less active when in water that is not warm enough. While Bettas may survive and seem well in certain conditions, it is different from them thriving.

I have had bettas before, but now I'm more serious and want to do it right.. I would add a heater for sure. And I'm leaning towards maybe a 4 gallon aquarium. Or maybe a 6 and putting in a divider so I would have two.

Sent from my iPhone

Mine are usually around 78 - 80 F. It does get a bit cooler at night, drops about 5 degrees or so. I may have to add heat if this is another very cold winter, now the heating system has been changed here. But even in the height of summer, they've never been very active, and they have so much more in their tanks than I see in so many Betta tanks, which are often pretty bare by comparison to mine.

Their tanks are side by side, so I periodically remove the mesh screens I keep between them so they can see each other. They'll flare and and threaten for awhile, which I figure is good exercise, and then I replace the screens so they don't get too hot under the collar.

Three of mine were imported privately from Thailand, and I adopted them when the owner downsized. They are gorgeous and were pretty darn expensive, not even counting the shipping. I've had two other Bettas as well and they never did much in the way of moving around either.

I'm quite sure some Bettas must be more active than mine are, but I just don't see much movement from them. One, Ruffles, is a lovely rich blue with [ supposed to be] mustard gas fins. They have a black edge, but are more an apricot colour than yellow. I've never, ever, seen him fully flare his fins, even when he accidentally got past a barrier and was in the same space as another fish. When I first brought them home. I kept them in a 10 with mesh barriers, and they proved quite able to get past them at times, before I put them into individual tanks. Maybe they're just incredibly lazy ?

Ok, thank you! I'm just going to get them at petco probably.. They have some really nice ones! And if I do split the tank I will also get a solid divider so they aren't always mad..

Sent from my iPhone

I rescued mine from petsmart and he was faded light blue and white. This is what he looks like nowImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416182982.712386.jpg

I had no idea he would get so colorful in 3 weeks.

The marine land 5 gallon crescent just for him. He's solo with just a tiny moss ball he kicks around when bored.

The filter that comes with it is ideal for a betta. It's got flow control so he doesn't get pushed around. I'll get a better pic. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416183212.703287.jpg

I bought a 25 watt heater and he's golden. Can eat without food being too hard to get, plus it's a great looking tank. 45 bucks at petsmart.

He gets brighter and bigger as each day passes. I bought him cuz I felt bad. He looked miserable in the little cup but kept coming to me. I'm a sucker for a rescue if I'm able. I never thought he would get so pretty.

That's great! I got a female betta from a petsmart cup and she's in a 10 gallon with a couple other fish. But I want a male..

Sent from my iPhone

Just so you know it won't be safe to put the male in the same tank as the female. Also, most people on the forum say that betas should have at minimum 5g, in order for them to be comfortable and active. A heater and filter are also highly recommended, but may not necessary in a self sufficient planted tank (filter), or if you live in an area where heaters aren't necessary because the temp is around 78F.

Back
Top Bottom