Betta tankmates in 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaCrystal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I'm new here and looking for advice on stocking my new 10 gallon freshwater aquarium. I'm leaning towards getting a betta because I think I have the ideal set up for a very happy betta (and their ease of care is a huge plus!)

My tank is currently cycling and empty and I'd like to add fish before getting the betta to improve the chances of them getting along. I'm looking for a small species of fish that would live happily in a 10 gallon with the same water parameters as betta. I would love to find some schooling fish but I'm finding a lot of mixed info on which species would do well in a 10 gallon, while also being a potentially successful tank mate for the betta. I've heard that neon tetras are a good candidate but some sources say they need more swimming space than a 10g? Any suggestions would be so appreciated! :D

IMO, you could put 6 Cory cats in there. Or 6 neon tetra. Or 6 of any small peaceful schooling fish with matching temperature requirements. I'd also add the schooling fish first then the Betta. Once you make your decision make sure to change out a minimum of 1/3 of your water weekly. Let us know what you decide.

Back
Top Bottom