Betta Troubles need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James G

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, Ive recently bought a betta the same one in that 10 gallon and all he does is flare at the glass and swim back and fourth constantly he also hasn't been eating. I bought some more plants, one of those floating betta logs, and a wallpaper, but he still flares at the glass and swims back and fourth does anyone know what's going on thanks.

Hello everyone, Ive recently bought a betta the same one in that 10 gallon and all he does is flare at the glass and swim back and fourth constantly he also hasn't been eating. I bought some more plants, one of those floating betta logs, and a wallpaper, but he still flares at the glass and swims back and fourth does anyone know what's going on thanks.
How long have you had him? And what do you mean the same one in the 10g. Is it divided with another one on the other side?

Ive had him for about a week maybe a little more, I did another post on him asking about tank mates no he is alone no dividers and no other betta.

You test the water and do your water changes, I assume. If that is all good, then could be a light somewhere in the room or the lighting on the tank giving it a reflection somehow, might try dimming the lights to see if that helps. Even when they see us watching them and there's a reflection off the tank of your face they tend to flare sometimes.(feeling intimidated) Betta is most likely stressed and if you can't figure it out sooner than later fin rot could set in. If it hasn't already. Even if day light is hitting the tank causing the reflection they do it. So many things with Betta's. Have you tried feeding blood worms? Or anything else. I have one Betta that is so picky with food and only likes the tetra Betta plus pellets and blood worms. If he don't get that then he'd rather starve. They are all different just gotta figure them out. Just try different things. Could be just because everything is very new to your Betta and it's just scared. Try to keep the lights low for awhile until feeding, they take time to adjust sometimes. Pellets soaked in garlic juice is an all-time fav for Betta's. Can try that too to get it to eat.

its been a while since ive tested the water and have done a water change, I'm not sure how to dim the lights its also a planted tank wouldn't dimming the lights kill the plants? sometimes ill sit on the floor and watch him he usually cant see me from where he is and when I'm watching him all he does is go back and fourth against the glass. I fed him some blood worms today and he ate but right after he finishes he goes right back to flaring at the glass.

I'm not sure he's a half-moon that is all white I did notice some white patches by his head that are a different colour white than he is, Do you think I should treat for fin rot just in case?.

You definitely need to do a couple 50% water changes and bring that ammonia down

Yeah, ammonia is high. Do a couple water changes 1@50% and another one @25-35% back to back. Try to suck up any waste on the bottom. Try to not over feed either. And keep an eye on it. Test again after your done with the water changes.

Another thing you can try with his flaring is a brighter light for the tank or more lighting. Sometimes low lighting will cause a reflection too. Flaring is a sign of intimidation. There's reflections from the glass on the tank... Your gonna need a bright one not just a lamp type.

Back
Top Bottom