Betta upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexwm125

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have finally decided to upgrade my Betta tank. I was thinking a 10g. And I want to go more "biotope" with this one. Similar to a bettas natural habitat but doesn't have to be exact.

I know my half moon isn't a wild variety but I'd like to give him such.

Any suggestion on how to do this? I have no idea on a bettas environment.

Currently in a 3g with 1 nerite. I decided he would be much happier with more space and I want to add inverts ???

Help!

29g Community

3g Betta

Also is a AqueonQuietflow 10 too strong for flow? That's what I have.

29g Community

3g Betta

In that size tank the output shouldn't be too bad. If it ends up being an issue you could always do mods.

I did an 20g Asian biotope years ago centered around a B. coccina. I would do a dark substrate like Eco Complete. Make sure you have floating plants but not so much so that the betta can't get to the surface. One thing I did to offset the somewhat dark look of the tank was to use brown paper bag for the background, just kind of crunched it for more texture. Found a bit more info here: Biotopes: Part 1

Are you thinking of any tankmates?

I was thinking more inverts or just Betta and nerite. I don't want any other fish in there because 1, I want the Betta to be the focus, 2 I fear micro rasbora (species I was looking at) much be a little snack if they are somehow caught.

29g Community

3g Betta

All right. I thought I'd just stop debating and go ahead and set it up. I don't have really anything I need but I can't look at my Betta in the 3 gal anymore because I feel bad and have heard suggestions as to this being bad.....anyways the nerite died almost immediately. I think I have copper in my tank or something from some ferts so that sucks but I think the Betta will enjoy this new space. Going to switch the media over and acclimate him in just a little while! Going to let it clear a bit first. :)))

29g Community

3g Betta

I used a random old decoration I found in my closet and I can't believe how much I like it!!!!! I never like fake stuff...

29g Community

3g Betta

I bet he thinks he's the luckiest betta ever! What a good tank for him! :D

Ok, if anyone is still following this. I actually think I would like to add another species to this tank fish wise. I know it's a Betta but I think some sort of faster peaceful fish would be cool. Just nothing that would bother him.

29g Community

10g Betta

In that size tank the output shouldn't be too bad. If it ends up being an issue you could always do mods.

I did an 20g Asian biotope years ago centered around a B. coccina. I would do a dark substrate like Eco Complete. Make sure you have floating plants but not so much so that the betta can't get to the surface. One thing I did to offset the somewhat dark look of the tank was to use brown paper bag for the background, just kind of crunched it for more texture. Found a bit more info here: Biotopes: Part 1

Are you thinking of any tankmates?

I really like the look of your micro rasbora. Do you think they would be ok? Idt my Betta would care, they aren't super flashy and could get away very easily.

What species do you have?

29g Community

10g Betta

Would the micro rasbora be too small for a 10g? I was thinking just a slightly larger school?

29g Community

10g Betta

I really like the look of your micro rasbora. Do you think they would be ok? Idt my Betta would care, they aren't super flashy and could get away very easily.

What species do you have?

I keep both B. micros and B. gracilis. My betta lived with green rasboras, didn't bother them at all.

How many would you recommend for a good sized school in this tank?
I won't be stocking them for a while, going to get a ton of plants and let them grow out. Probably 2-3 weeks, we'll see. I also want to find a good species, not super generic.

Like my Gertrudae rainbows. I know they aren't super uncommon but they are unique in comparison to a lot of the fish in the hobby

I would like the same sort of feel. I like unique lol

29g Community

10g Betta

Honestly wish my 29g had a GBR instead of a DG pair for the same reason but I'm too attached to my DGs now. Oh welllll

Ok. I'm going to call my LFS and see what rasbora species they have. These are rasbora correct?

29g Community

10g Betta

Be ready for some die off with the swords they are grown emersed, the submersed growth will be narrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Weak, thank you for letting me know though. This looking alright so far?

Does needle leaf Rotala get tall? What what I'm hoping for on that side, I'll be trimming and replanting a ton once it starts growing.

29g Community

10g Betta

Back
Top Bottom