Betta w/ fin rot again - snails to blame?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachelinwy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

My betta had a bout with fin rot about 2 weeks ago. I removed his snails to another tank, and treated him with "Fungus Clear" (nitrofurazone, furazolidone, and potassium chromate).

He got better, so I changed the water and put one of his snails back in... BAM He's got fin rot again.

I have removed the snail, and dosed the fish.

My question is this: Could the snails (olive snails) be harboring the fin rot fungus? Can I treat the snails, too, or shall I resign myself to keeping them separate for the rest of their lives?

Thanks

Hi Rachelinwy,
I don't know if snails can harbor the organism (fungus or bacteria) responsible for finrot. I suppose anything's possible, and from your experience it looks like it may be possible. I have never had snails, though, but I've had lots of bettas and lots of episodes of finrot.

Answering these questions may give us a little more info: What size tank is your betta in? Can you describe it? Does it have a heater/filter? How often do you do water changes? How many and what type of tankmates (other than snails) does the betta have?

The betta's in a 2.5-gallon hexagonal tank, with the snails and some Elodea. I change about 1/2 gallon of water once a week. The tank has one of those mini-heaters, so it stays around 78-82*.

The betta hasn't been in the best of health for the past few months, so it could be he's just at the end of his line.

I would like to know if the snails are off-limits for other fish in the future. That is, will they have to be isolated until they pass on? How long do olive snails live, anyway?

Thanks!

I have had bettas that were vigorous and healthy, and some that only lived 6 months or so. We never know how old they are when we get them, either, unless you happen to know the breeder.

I don't have any info on the snails. I'll try to call this post to the attention of some more members. I do know that other members have fish and snails with no problems, but I can't speak from experience since I"ve never had snails.

It's good that you have a heater. I would try to increase the frequency of your water changes since the tank is still rather small. My betta QT tank is a 2.5 gallon, and when I have a betta in that tank, I change half a gallon every other day, which would be 3 times a week. That may perk the betta up a bit, plus when fish have good, clean water, they are more resistant to bacterial and fungal infections.

Not a freshwater expert by any means, but from a "troubleshooting" aspect, I wouldn't blame the snails quite yet. It could just be that you had a reoccurance of the fin rot that would've happened even if you hadn't put the snails back in.

Personally, I'd leave the snails out longer this time and give it a good 3-4 weeks until you put them back in - just to make sure the fin rot is really taken care of. Then put the snails back in. If it happens again, even with a longer wait period, then it probably is somehow related to the snails, or maybe any stray water that's coming in with the snails. At that point then I guess you'd be back to the same question you have now. But with just one instance of this happening, I'd be more apt to think it was just coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom