Betta with Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am pretty close to finishing my cycle in my 5.5 gallon betta tank (yes, I know shame on me for not doing fishless!), and he has recently come down with fin rot. His case is what I would call mild to moderate, there are some pieces of his fins missing and others are just torn. I have started doing daily water changes since he started showing signs of illness a couple days ago. Should I just try to keep his water healthy and see if he heals, or will he need some antibiotics?

You should continue the pwc's and monitor your parameters, but you can also use melafix to help him heal.

Would you say an antibiotic is necessary or just speeds up the process? I don't want to harm my cycle.

Usually, people say that fin rot can be healed with time and clean water. But it's different for everyone.

Okay, I will probably just keep up the pwc's then use antibiotics if he doesn't get better. How long does it take for their fins to grow back once you actually get rid of the infection? I know it will vary I just hate seeing my beautiful buddy like this. :(

It varies, but I know that tears in a betta's fin can heal pretty quickly, within a week or so, if the parameters are right. But this is in a betta whose tail was torn, not who had fin rot. So you'll probably just have to be patient and wait it out.. I'm really sorry.

Went ahead and got some Maracyn 2 from the LFS, didn't have any Melafix. Following the directions I put 1 packet in and going to put a half in for the next five days. I was wondering, should I continue daily water changes? Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure why you got maracyn2... did it say it was for fin rot? I thought it was for bacterial infections. Isn't fin rot a fungus?

You're welcome though. Hope it works!

IMO you should continue with your water changes.

I'm treating my betta with fin rot by using melafix and aquarium salt. It's good stuff. It's helping my Betta a Lot!

The package says it is for fin rot, which is caused by a gram-negative rod bacteria. The owner of the LFS said it was good, and showed me on the label that it clearly said it was for fin rot. I just decided to go with it because I didn't know much about the other meds he had.

Oh, I see that now. I've actually heard good things about that med. Good luck!

Maracyn II is actually just erythromycin antibiotic that is packaged in little envelopes and marked up about 3000%. It does indeed kill gram negative bacteria. Pharmacists can usually be talked into giving you some erythromycin tabs for next to nothing... Just FYI :)

fort384 said:
Maracyn II is actually just erythromycin antibiotic that is packaged in little envelopes and marked up about 3000%. It does indeed kill gram negative bacteria. Pharmacists can usually be talked into giving you some erythromycin tabs for next to nothing... Just FYI :)

Cool! I don't know that I could pronounce what I wanted though... Lol. :D

It probably will. It is a very effective med for gram negative bacteria. That's why we humans use it so much!

The problem is we use it so much (for fish and people) that many strains of bacteria are becoming resistant. That's why I wouldn't use it unless you are sure it is needed. It is often only effective as a treatment in a tank a couple of times before it becomes ineffective.

Back
Top Bottom