Betta with Fungus????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I am normally posting over in the saltwater area, however I have a problem with my Betta. I just have a normal small little plastic tank with gravel that "Chumley" has been in for about 2 or 3 years. He has always done really well making his bubble nets and happily eating his pellets. However, today I noticed that he wasn't being very active and didn't want to eat anything. Also, I noticed a white fuzz on his head, eyes, and body. Does this sound like fungus? I read that it could be treated with Jungle Fungus Eliminator. Is this a good product?

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi Kristen,
Bacterial infections are usually more common than fungal infections, and the white fuzz usually means a bacterial infection. But I have used the Jungle Fungus Eliminator and it has always worked wonders. It says it's for bacterial or fungal infections. I use it in a QT bowl (so I don't hurt the main tank's good bacteria), and use 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.

How big is the tank? How often do you do water changes? Do you check the parameters weekly? Rising ammonia or nitrite levels can cause stress too (you probably know this already!) Some bettas do well in small tanks. But there are better ways to keep a betta. I have found that temperature fluctuations can cause a lot of disease. These are just some things to look at, to see why this problem started. Or, if he's 3 years old, he may be getting old and not resistant to changing conditions anymore.

I would try the Jungle Fungus Eliminator. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom