betta with huge bloating problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ldiogirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello has anyone ever seen a female betta look like this?

I've had her about 6 months and she's been getting bigger and bigger. first I thought she was over eating because she was in a community tank but I took her out and she's in her own 5g right now. she only gets 3 bloodworms every other day, so there's no way its a food problem. I thought maybe eggs, but the big bubble things look like they are full of air. she seems to be swimming ok, but the last few days she's seemed stressed. she's been like this almost the entire time I've had her, but the bubbles keep getting bigger. Any ideas??? thanks

-Jen

Attachments

• IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1550.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 73
O.O ummm...
Try fasting her.
That looks like a growth... I can't tell though
Poor betta..

Although she is not 'pineconed' yet & still seems to be eating, i would have to say its dropsy. What the exact cause behind it is, im not really positive (possibily parasites, worms, or a bacterial infection) in your case. I know some people have limited success treating with epsom salts to reduce fluid buildup combined with antibiotic meds (metromeds) to treat internal parasite/bacterial infections, however, the prognosis is very poor due to permanet damage to the kidneys. The kidneys are responsiblw for fluid removal-when they are damaged, fluid continues to accumulate in the body rather than being expelled. Im sorry to say this, but if her condition continues to deteriorate, you may have to consider euthansia. :(

Holy cow. I'm sorry. Looks like-

Sever internal infection

Parasite

Severe constipation

I have never seen that before.

Thanks for that jessica. Is dropsy really the cause when the fish has been alive for more than 6 months, and 6 of that (?) number of months she has been kept by the owner?

Is dropsy surviveable that long?

I would feed peas, most basic approach.

Honestly, i dont know how long a fish can survive with dropsy. I believe it would depend on its root cause which i dont know in this case and its severity. Kidney damage typically occurs over a period of time (can be a day or weeks or mths) with the symptoms gradually getting worse. I dont know 100% that this is dropsy but its my best guess for a diagnosis. Treating fish is sometimes a bit of guesswork because most of us are not vets. I do know bettas are prone to dropsy though.

Interesting...

Well I wish you luck with your Betta. I hope she makes it!

QP

Back
Top Bottom