Betta with red spot on his dorsal fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hubert90

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys my juvenile half-moon betta about 1 week old kept in a filtered 10 gallon tank has a red spot on his dorsal fin. The 10 gallon originally cycled but I recently replaced the old internal filter with Aquaclear 70 hob. The internal filter was getting really noisy so I threw it out. I did however used some of the filter media to seed my hob filter.

The irresponsible me underestimated the biological load of this little betta and didn't bother check it's water parameter until I found the red dot less than 24hours ago. The results were as follow

Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 6.6
The betta showed no sigh of illness or anything.

Since then I've done some major water changes. Reducing the ammonia back down to 0.25. I'm gonna wait till tonight or tomorrow to do further water changes to reduce stress. I also use aquarium salt 1gram per litre.

So my question is what is the red dot?

P.s I wanted to post a pic through my iphone however it wouldn't let me indicating some error of some sort.

anyone??

i also recently added aquasoil which lowered the ph and the water hardness. if that helps to diagnose the problem!

Last edited:
It looks like it may just be part of his coloration. If he's still young, he's still getting his colors. Very pretty though. I envy you. ;)

Maya said:
I don't see a red dot. But, that's a gorgeous fish!

In the first picture you can see it faintly. I think it's one of those things that a picture can't capture.

Thanks guys! Alright maybe I'm just being paranoid. Haha tbh I don't want him to change his collie :( like it the way he is. Let's hope it goes away xD

Back
Top Bottom