Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swaggenator

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all. I'm new here, I took a long break from fish keeping then decided to start back up again. I bought guppies, and had terrible luck with them. My betta has outlived them all (he was in a separate tank) I want to get other fish to go with him, but the only kind of fish I've owned is a guppy.. and now they seem to be alleric to me. I'm not sure if my tank is a 10 or 20 gallon. But based on the picture, is there enough room amd hiding spots for a female betta and him to coexist? Or should I look into other fish.. and if so? What are some pretty fish that get along with bettas?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121029_235341.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121029_235341.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 93
  • ForumRunner_20121029_235414.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121029_235414.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 77
What are the tank dimensions (LxWxH)?

Don't permanently house a female Betta with a male. One, or both, will end up dead.

Swaggenator said:
Hi all. I'm new here, I took a long break from fish keeping then decided to start back up again. I bought guppies, and had terrible luck with them. My betta has outlived them all (he was in a separate tank) I want to get other fish to go with him, but the only kind of fish I've owned is a guppy.. and now they seem to be alleric to me. I'm not sure if my tank is a 10 or 20 gallon. But based on the picture, is there enough room amd hiding spots for a female betta and him to coexist? Or should I look into other fish.. and if so? What are some pretty fish that get along with bettas?

Well, based on looks alone, I would say you have a 10 gallon, which is fine for a betta. The minimum space requirements for a betta varies between 2.5-5 gallons.

As far as tank mates are concerned, a lot depends on the temperament of your betta. He may be fine with tank mates, or he may eat them all. I've heard of people who have great success with shrimp and snails, and I've also heard that neon tetras sometimes do fine (however, I don't know if you have enough space for a school of neons and a betta--someone else will have to help you with that, as I usually ask in here if I'm overstocked or not)

blert said:
What are the tank dimensions (LxWxH)?

Don't permanently house a female Betta with a male. One, or both, will end up dead.

+1 I agree.

I successfully kept a school of neons with my betta in a 10 gallon. Just put them in the tank before the betta. I think a 10 gallon is just fine for neons. I also had ghost shrimp which the betta didn't bother either, but it depends on each betta whether or not they think they are friends or a tasty meal.

Back
Top Bottom